Citalopram better to start at low dose ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Long time anxiety sufferer, have been considering taking Citalopram at a very low dose to start with to see if my body will tolerate it..............main worry is any dizziness balance affects as i alreday have unbalalnced sensations most of the time with my over sensitised nervous system..........any help appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had SEVERE anxiety and had tried other meds and had a hard time tolerating the side effects. My psychiatrist now started me on 2.5mg for 2 weeks and raised the dosage by 2.5mg every two weeks. It was a long process, but didn't have any side effects. I'm thankful she did it this way because I don't know if I ever would have gotten on a med. I'm currently at 15mg and doing very well!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, what a great way of introducing cita, and hearing you didnt have side effects, I hope alot of doctors see your post. All the best to you in your recovery.
    • Posted

That's the way to go.... God I wish more docs did this! Would seriously save people from a lot of unnecessary discomfort.

• Posted

How are you getting on , I feel dizzy and undalanced, as I going through the menopause, I am no on escitalopram 5mg, day 6, I am having trouble with needing the loo all the time, are you having that felling at all,
    • Posted

Haven’t started taking them yet, cant quite bring myself to start. Can’t bear it if i feel any worse than i do already daily. sad
    • Posted

That’s definitely a side effect. Cut out sugar and caffeine and it will help you. 

It will subside and dissipate. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi Susan

I am unabalanced and also early menopause. Not sure if the anxiety you get in the menopause causes the off balance feeling. Are the tablets helping?

Louise 

• Posted

What time of day do you take yours Will, some say morning some say evening, i’m Thinking of trying 2.5mg and see how that goes. Am i right in thinking if i can find the right doseage for me all the symptoms will reduce to maybe stop although i know they are only suppressed with the meds. I’m talking about Adrenalin rushes, tiredness, aches, chest and stomach tightness. I think if it was all a bit lighter i could begin to recover internally and mentally..........thanks.
    • Posted

I take mine at 6:00 Am with breakfast a bowl of cereal with fruit and 1 egg white. I know 2 people that are on it and never had side effects. Don’t get all worked up with the side effects. I’m here to help and others are also. I wish I had started with 2.5. Very smart move. Yes the side effects subside. Cut down caffeine and sugar. Try to walk or exercise each day. It helps. Let me know when you start. 

Will😎

• Posted

Only took 2.5 will side affects were just too extreme for me. Much higher than I can tolerate in my current state. Disappointed but had to stop and feeling the affects today which I guess is withdrawal symptoms for a day or two. Just didn’t expect the side affects to be so severe at 2.5. 
    • Posted

Scott 

Sorry to hear this. The side effects are so different for people. I was a light weight and had severe side effects. They came and went and came and went. But they subside..

• Posted

Will and Scott I also suffered severe side effects..but I put my big panties on and dealt with it...that's just what we gotta do.other wise we will never heal..

• Posted

Hi Scott, it's definitely worth taking them for anxiety.

And go into it with a plan eg you are gonna start at 5mg for a couple weeks, boost to ten if it feels right, stay on and then review monthly for first couple months, then at six months. Make a decision then about staying on or tapering off.

And you will feel less irritable, that's part of the anxiety.

• Posted

Also Scott, the worrying about side effects is symptomatic of the anxiety/depression. I always find, when I'm going through a bout, that I just can't make a decision.

Don't get me wrong, they are serious drugs, ssris. However, you might not need them for very long. It's likely they are gonna make you feel different when you start them up, but you've got support here, and maybe you have counselling/therapy/bodywork to also get support from? If not, I highly recommend all of those.

I think your plan of trying 2.5mg is really good for a couple of weeks, then 5, and just stepping up in small increments. You may hardly need much at all.

Good luck, lots of people here to chat with ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.