Citalopram brand change

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram 30 mg for around 8 years now and about 4 months ago they changed the brand and ever since I've been really depressed with a constant feeling of doom and no motivation to do anything also my anxiety and panic attacks have come back with a vengeance and I am also starting to avoid going places again because of the panic my doctor assured me that the ingredients are the same and likened it to buying smart price rice to uncle bens ha! But I can definitely tell it's not right! Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Different brands make a huge difference for me. Some of them have no effect at all for me, some give me the initial side effects all over, some give diarrhea. If you can just stick to brand you were using before. Unless they have changed the formula...
    • Posted

Yes thanks X I'm going to go to a different pharmacy and see if anything changes and I will post the results X there's definitely something in it as it is a huge change from what I was like before! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Cathy,

I agree, there is definitely a difference. My brands seem to change back and fore a lot, same pharmacy so I don't know why that is but some brands are more effective for sure. Best wishes

• Posted

I've read that although medicines may be a different brand, the active ingredient will still be the same.  However it's the inactive incredient that can be different - the inactive ingredient is just the outer coating/shell.  So the medicine is exactly the same, but of course that doesn't mean to say that your body is feeling the difference of the slightly different coating.

Worth trying a different pharmacy to see if you can get your original sort.

• Posted

Hi Cathy

some Pharmacists push the generic brand because it's cheaper. Like the others said try another pharmacy and if they don't have the brand in stock ask if they can order it in for you.You have the right to buy the brand that suits you best. I doubt if the drug company have stopped making it ,too much of a money spinner for them!

• Posted

Hi all Citalprom is the same, its your head telling u otherwise, all Citalprom is now generic so its cheap, l get different labels of it sometimes but l feel they are the same, take care Citalprom has worked wonders for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.