Citalopram -Can the Beneficial Effect Wear Off?

Posted , 25 users are following.

I can't remember when I started taking Citalopram for anxiety, perhaps a year ago and I take 60mg a day. I built this dose up gradually so although I felt some improvement it was some months before I felt a lot better. I have a long-term problem so my expectations weren't high but I was pleased with the results.

However, lately I've been feeling very anxious again for no obvious reason and finding it hard to cope. Could it be that Citalopram doesn't work when taken for a year or so? I am hoping this might be a passing phase but would like to read of other people's experiences. I am reluctant to bother my GP since I have been managing so much better.

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have taken Citalopram 20 on and off for 4 years. Each time I have weaned myself off them until the next time - usually about October time until after Christmas and New Year (good reasons for getting low at this time!) The previous time I took them I started with an unbearable itch on my arms, legs and upper chest. I felt they were interacting with another two tablets I had been prescribed for blood pressure (a water tablet) and type 2 diabetes. I weaned myself off them and stopped the BP pills (water tablet). After a few weeks the itch disappeared. Unfortunately I had to begin taking Citalapram again on 3rd January this year and off we go again, after a shower, itch, itch for at least 30 mins. Doctor has given me antihistamines saying he doesn't want me to come of the ads yet, they are only just starting to be beneficial. He hasn't got the (bleep bleep) itch! I have reduced the dose myself to half a tablet to see what happens. If the itch continues I shall wean myself off again and pray I dont slide again! Has anyone else suffered the confounded itch?
  • Posted

hi all , well my anxiety attacks have started back with a vengeance ..im on 40mg and I am having a bit of a tough time with my son who is depressed and lives away from me , he's 24, my husband committed suicide a couple of years ago and hanged himself in the flat my son lives in . my son is now resentful I left him with husband when things went bad .I need to work in London and distance is too far to commute .our faithful old dog is getting old , and I now have decided to sell our flat , short lease and really working myself up over it . I wake up physically sick , and spend all my free moment clutching onto my pillow in bed .. why has it stopped working when I need it to ? real ly trying to make things better and just so so in knots sad(
    • Posted

Hi Dendo.  Very sorry to hear about all of your difficulties.  Some of us seem to get the lions share of traumas I think. One thing I thought I'd share with you is how CBT and other approaches have helped my severe anxiety disorder.  This may come as a surprise but I welcome rising panic or anxiety when it comes. I embrace it, watch it come and then watch it leave. To smile at the 'monster' and watch it trigger the flight or fight response is to disarm it somehow. Sure the feeling isn't great, the fear, but it helps me remember to take care of myself, to love myself and strangely brings me closer to my true nature and, dare I say it, god. I'm not religious so my god is more like being part of a beautiful universe or something greater and more powerful than I. There is something in the letting go and acceptance that really helps. My 'monster' still pays me visits from time to time, it always will. It waves at me and I wave back and invite him in, but he never wants to stay.  Everything passes, even when you don't want it to. Take care of yourself. Love. x. 
    • Posted

Hi zoo panzee

what a great response - thanks for sharing.

i guess we all have to dig deep and find the courage to stand up to the anxiety monster. Next time it visits me, I will try a leaf out of your book & not run away.

sleepy crow x

• Posted

Hi Dendo

Am thinking and praying for you.  I really hope you are feeling better than you were 8 months ago. You seem to have so much going on in your life at the moment. I also hope your dog is ok. Please just know you are not alone and others are thinking about you. 

• Posted

I have been taking Citalopram for about 11 years. I started on 20mg and that was working perfectly for 10 years. (It took about 4 weeks to kick in). Then I went through a rough patch (separation, etc) last year and fell into a deep hole at Easter this year. I saw my GP and he upped the dose to 40mg. Anxiety has been slightly better but I am really looking at other alternatives at the moment. I'm not considering going over 40mg because other research and forums suggest that these dosages are not effective.
  • Posted

Hi

Having had a breakdown 30 years ago I've now taken Citralopram for last 15 years and they have been my saviour.  For me the effects haven't worn off, and found my happiness has been maintained (if not increased, as time goes by).

initially starting on these tablets is quite tough, as your anxiety can increase, as did mine.  I also had many side effects to start with but gradually these wore off, and have not had any weight gain.

Initially I was on 20mg and am now able to maintain a happy life on only 10mg.

There are many SSRI's on the market and people react differently to them, each one tailored to suit somebody's body.  Citralopram was the 2nd medication of this type I was put on which worked for me.  You'll find the correct on eventually, but it does need patience (which I know can be very hard).

xx

• Posted

Krispie

your comments are heartening . I went back on citalopram at the end of October last year, on 20g. It is the third of a short spell of being on the medication. Over the last two weeks I can feel the depression creeping back. I don't want to think the medication won't work lon term

• Posted

Hi, im vincent, i to had been into 10mg for 1 year, it felt perfectly fine and im in my normal self, i weaned off without the knowlegde of my gp, but i do it slowly/gradually, i didnt feel any withdrawal, but after 6 mos the anxiety started to come back and my gp resumed my medication... On my 8 weeks today and feeling better again on 10 mg, is it ok to be on this drug forever as maintenance? 
    • Posted

Sorry for chipping in

Yes you can take this meds for life if it's needed.  It's not addictive.  I've taken 10mg for maintenance for years and am now taking 5mg which I intend to stay on for a while yet.

K x

• Posted

Really , thats good to hear..... Isnt it bad to take it for long term..... And i think 10mg is low dose than the average user so its good that it really working for us
  • Posted

Many people have to take life long medicines for diabetes, epilepsy, blood pressure etc and I suppose depression is no different - ok it's not a life threatening illness, but it'll certainly make your quality of life bit so good.

Another alternative if you think of coming off Citalopram is a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they must not be taken together.

Ive taken these in the last with great results.  I only restarted Cit when my son became very ill which began to affect me, so I went back on Cit and will come off again next year and go back on 5-HTP and l-tyrosine.

K x

• Posted

Typos!!  Should have said 'make your quality of life NOT so good confused
  • Posted

...Thank katecogs..hopefully  i can add you to my fb..so we canchat easy..i think we dont have 5htp here in the philippines......
  • Posted

I've been on 10mg citolopram for a year and this last week my anxiety has come back as bad as before im not sure if this is a bump or not but I've been taking between .25-.75 klonopon these last few days to try to settle down before I can see the doc on the 27th who is most likely going to increase the dose but I scheduled an appointment with a cognitive behavioral therapist the 22nd so I hope that helps because my anxiety is 24/7 through the roof.
    • Posted

Hi Kain

This can happen, and I'd treat it as a blip.  If you've been coping well on 10mg for a year, then I'd just let the feeling be there, KNOW that it will disappear again, try and go about life in a calm manner and this should pass in time.

As we recover on Citalopram many of us go through many ups and downs along the way.  Even when you've had a good long period of feeling well you can suddenly start to feel anxious again - this can happen even a year after being well.  It's just part of the up and down period and it will pass.

The regular dose is however 20mg, but if you've felt well on 10mg for a year then I'd try waiting, staying calm and letting this pass over.  It could take a few weeks, but let it have it's time and it'll go when it's ready.  Don't try and hurry it along as you'll just make yourself more frustrated.

Of course if you feel it's lasting too long, then maybe it's time to up to 20mg, but remember you may get side effects for a few weeks doing this.

I started on 20mg many years ago then maintained my wellness on 10mg for a few years, and am now able to be on 5mg.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for your wise words.  I started on 20mg but it didn't work so I'm now on 40g.  Congratulations on now being on 5g.  

Kain I'm afraid it's a roller coaster ride.  Cognitive behaviour therapist is a great idea.  Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Do you have panic attacks? What are your symtoms?

I wish you all the best,

A fellow sufferer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.