Citalopram Celexa Tapered down to Starting New Year on 0mg... wish me luck friends

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, its been at least six months since I posted on here. This place was a lifesaver for me during my start up process. katecogs and lois were the standout support i remember the most and that we all need. My time on citalopram was a mixed bag. It made me a lot worse for the first 3 months. Things never really got 'good' on it for me so I decided to wean myself off them about 4 months ago very slowly..... I suffered almost every side effect going on these whilst on them, particularly the first five months. so i've decided to once again to try to be med free and use coping tactics should anxiety and panic arise. I just became sooo lost exhausted and confused on these.I was waiting and hoping for something to happen like it did when I was on PAXIL before. There was no 'lightbulb on' day for me on citalopram. I was on it for a total of 11 months starting at 20mg and moving to 30mg 6 weeks in. I will UPDATE THIS thread as time passes for my and any one elses benefit who wants to do the same and happy in the meantime to nswer others questions regarding my personal choice to stop taking citalopram. Good LUCK to all in the new year, particularly my distant suffering friends and those who helped support me last year. Thank YOU from the bottom of my heart. Wishing you all the very best for the future. MANNY❤

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Manny

Glad I was able to help somewhat though sorry you’ve not had complete success on Citalopram. Are you not able to take Paxil again? There are many other SSRI’s to try as each are tailored to different people. Though one type might not be for you, there are others to try (though I know of course there's all that start up, side effects, time etc to get through). There are also SNRI’s and other similar meds too. Always worth speaking to your Doctor.

If you’re coming off meds I can recommnd 5-HTP which is bought over the counter, but you can’t take this if you’re taking prescription SSRI’s. 5-HPT a natural alternative to Prozac, is easy to take, there’s no start up or withdrawal symptoms (though some are more sensitive - but nothing like SSRI’s), and is quick working. You can start and stop this any time without having to wean on or off. Always worth trying once off meds. I take it.

Don’t think I’ve ever sent you the book links - they’re really good and will also help you go it alone. I can send if you’d like.

Happy New Year to you - and hope your journey through this is smooth.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was checking out those books last night kate. I saw one of your posts from year or so ago when you mentioned Dr Weekes. interesting stuff. although ive gotten little advice from you so far, i truly appreciate you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Dubry

Yes those books were my bible when I was recovering on meds, and they were the only things that ever made sense of it all (even more than any doctor or therapist). It really is true that we get stuck in a cycle, but nobody sees this. Applying what she talks about really does help.

I'll send you the link to other book - its even more interesting.

K x

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up