citalopram day 3

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have have had anxiety and depression for as long as i can remember stemming way back from when i was a child. After the birth of my third child i got very bad post natal depression which i suffered a break down. I then went of the rails a bit and suffered even more heartache and failed reationships my life spiraled out of control and i am at the stage i feel unable to cope. I have a high powered job which i have now had to give up but still have my foot in the door. Citalopram was prescribed an i am trying to persevere with them. I have never properly taken an anti depressant before. My symtoms include, hightened anxiety, restslessness, cold tingling sensation down my arms, no appetite, shaking but its only day 3 and i was willing to give it a go as felt so low lost the will to live at one point. I am hopeing these efeects start to subside and i will feel better soon its not a nice feeling but hopefully the benefits will be worth while. I am on 20mg but did think about reducing the dose??? opinions appreciated...x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im on day 13, after a week i started to feel a little better but the past couple of days i feel ive gone back to losing motivation again. im on 10 mg is it possible to get 15mg or is 20mg the next dose,has anybody else felt the same after this time.
  • Posted

I have been on cit for 17 weeks for anxiety after an illness. Started on 20mg and this went up to 30mg week 7 when I had a bad week. I had 4 or 5 sessions with a counsellor as well.

Some folk report benefits on 10mg but I have been led to believe by a counsellor that 20mg is the lowest effective dose. The highest dose you can have is 60mg. Most folk seem to find 20mg - 30mg of most benefit.

It takes perhaps a week for the side effects to subside and generally 3-4 weeks till you start to notice benefits.

Having said that progress is not a continuous improvement. You will get blips and setbacks and will have to work through these.

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

last night i woke up after a bad dream and had a panic attack i am finding it hard to bring myself to go out and i also am suffering from a urine infection which may be a side effect of the tablets. I am just afriad that these tablets will not ease my anixiety as this is one of my main problems. I am only on day 4 but i just want to feel normal again. Constant feeling of tingling in my arms aswell. Is this all normal should i continue taking them? i felt in a better mood yesterday afternoon but by the evening my mood dropped im so fed up! sad
  • Posted

also i think if you are on 10mg and u are starting to feel low then go back to your doctor and ask for him to up the medication mabey to 15mg as u may need more. x
  • Posted

also i think if you are on 10mg and u are starting to feel low then go back to your doctor and ask for him to up the medication mabey to 15mg as u may need more. x
  • Posted

• Posted

hi my anxiety was much worse in the first 5 days it does get better, im also struggling to go out through fear of panic attack although im taking little steps to leave the house, ive been to dr today & hes increased dose to 20mg. thanks to all for advice im hoping i dont get more side effects from the increase. x
  • Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement. i do find myself looking at the pack each morning thinking' can i do this myself.... do i need them', but then i look at why i got them in the first place and keep telling myself dont give up anything is better than this feeling. I do want to hear from anyone who has been taking this drug for a while and found that it has taken away the anxiety and panic?? as this is mainly what they are for? x
  • Posted

I too am on day 3 of 20mg citolpram.

had depression on and off (always swings back) for a decade, am 33 now. my anxiety has gotten progressively worse over the years, taken years to pluck up for courage for help, then i get put on citolpram.

1st day i took it, pupils went like saucers, felt like i was on some type of drug (i guess i am haha)

day 2 felt spaced out, weird swings from hazey spaced out to grinning like a cheshire cat.

weird stuff. i totally agree with Pazza31 with how you feel looking at the packet. so i really want to go down that route? but i must remember why i'm given them in the 1st place.

i dunno, i gave up drugs years ago, which is probably part cause of my depression, but i dont like that weird amphetamine saucer eyed feeling, also i swear people (work in retail) were looking at me strange, my eyes must look like i'm taking LSD or something.

people say side effects last about a week, i hope so, i dont like it.

ps - my dreams are much much more real and overwhelming, waking up this morning in my bed falling out of the horrid dream i had was nice.

good luck all

• Posted

I'm on day five of citalopram only 10mg... i've had exactly the same experience as you.. i feel like ive taken a load of mdma... does this feeling go away because i'm not sure how sustainable it is... my eyes are so tired but my mind is so awake... i can't sleep at all so have had to take diazepam at night. i can get things done in the day which i couldn't do before but at the moment it feels like im going to burn out before long... if this is what 10mg does i can't even begin to contemplate what 60mg would do?! Will theses side effects go away... it's day five and my pupils are still pretty dilated.. and my hands are shaky...
  • Posted

Hi

I am on day 5! and i feel so jittery and nervy like im going to the dentist!! its lasting all day until i take my tab! im on 10mg but think i need more. i was on dosulepin for 10 years and was ok on it and came off in may but the doc has now prescribed me these as she said they are more affective. im going back on monday as i think i need 20mg!! im supposed to be emigrating to Oz in about 6 weeks and i cant see how that is possible feeling the way i do Oh dear!!! does anyone know when i should start to feel better and be able to cope better? i cant even leave the house at the moment. i feel so tired and dizzy with the anxiety feeling !!im in such turmoil its lasting ALL day!!!i just want to feel \"normal\" again :-(

• Posted

Hi,I started taking 20mg of Citalopram about 4 weeks ago for anxiety and panic attacks.When I started taking it I felt horrible,it felt like I was living on a different planet for about 7 days at least.The side affects were the same as other people on here have experienced.After about 3 weeks I noticed I wasn't really panicking that much any more and my anxiety has subsided.I really think these tablets are amazing and have really helped me get through this.Try and stick to taking the tablets as I believe they really do help.I'm hoping i'm getting my old self back again now but i think i'm going to ask the doctor if I could have some cognitive behavioural therapy as i've heard this is good for anxiety and panic attacks.Good luck everyone,and for the person who is moving to OZ I say go for it,I lived in Australia and loved it,its a different life style out there and I thought it was a lot more of a slower pace of life and not so work oriented.X
  • Posted

hang in their folks.

day 5 now, and i can honestly say the side effects from 20mg are reducing greatly. I now take them about 9pm at night, go to sleep with a book quite easily about 11 or 12. 8 hours uninterupted sleep, the 1st 40 mins of the morning were hazy (arent they always anway?) and felt a little lethargic in the day, tiny tiny bit nervy but NOTHING compared to when they 1st kicked in thankfully.

gonna stick with them and see how it goes, went to the pub after work and the usual anxiety i have had dissapeared - strange! but good...

good luck all.

• Posted

forgot to add, my decision to take them at night rather than day was to limit the awake side effects, which , for me thankfully worked, once im awake my body has already dealt with the tablet for 8 hours...

also my pupils arent like discus's now.... smile

• Posted

i am now on week four of these tablets. After week one i had a real get up and go feeling and felt good. However i have recently had a set back and split with my partner who has been very unsupportive. At the weekend i went to a party and got quite drunk on vodka... a good idea at the time but on the sunday i felt so low!!! then monday i went for luch with the girls and noticed the symtoms of a panic attack coming on!! errrrr!!! i did let it flow over me and it did not blow into a full blown one but it was still unpleasent enough for me to think i want to stop them and deal with this myself. I have taken another this morning as i dont want to give up but i dont want to have to experience setbacks all the time. I also take clomazipam at night if i cant sleep and beta blockers but was advised by my pharmasist that 3 drugs together like this reduces the effect of the tablet!! so what to do? also alcohol stops the tablet from working altogether... i am unsure if this is for me i also dont feel that my mood is lifting that much. Has anyone else had this experience and how long does it take to work? i am on 20mg and just want to get beeter. Also i would like to recommend a book to nerve sufferers it is brilliant... Dr CLAIRE WEEKES...Self help for your nerves, you can order it online she explains things so logically i have read the book it does help you to understand... good luck everyone this illness is awfull xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.