citalopram does it work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I started getting random panic attacks last year they started getting worse, I ended up having a break down couldn't leave the house felt so ill really anxious couldn't stop crying! I ended up in hospital they gave me dizapam which really chilled me out! Saved my life. Went to docs the next day and was giving 10mg citalopram I got a few side effects couldnt eat or sleep and started crying more made me feel a bit more depressed, I only stayed on them 3 weeks and stopped! The last year I just take propranolol when needed but I know it's not going to cure me sad I still feel low don't want to do anything anymore keep pushing everyone away! I snap at everyone all the time I have broken sleep feel anxious a lot! Should I maybe try citalopram again but stick it out this time? Has it helped anyone get back to there old self? I just want to be me again sad I start counselling in January but I don't think it will be enough for me. Any positive reviews on citalopram would be great?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It didn't suit me made me have panic attacks and sweats but worked great for other people I know. If ur body can tolerate the first few weeks there is a good chance. My doctor faviours it x
  • Posted

Hi Nix....I definitely would try giving it your best shot.I think counselling and medication together is a very positive move.I had been on Citalopram for around 4 years,the reason I stopped last year was because I was very fatigued.But medication affects everyone differently!They definitely helped me after I suffered a bout of depression triggered by a bereavement.I had the same symptoms as you,bursting into tears....Even when I was out and about.Also feeling short tempered etc...Give it a try Nix....All the best,Sally x
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. How long did you feel they took to work for you? Did they help you get back to your old self? X
    • Posted

Hi Nix...To be totally honest with you,I really can't remember.The only thing for certain I recall,that worked pretty much straight away,was it kept me from breaking down in tears all over the place.But remember:we all react differently!Hopefully,being realistic,they'll kick in within a few weeks.Sometimes just the fact that we have started something to help ourselves,can have a psychosomatic effect...All the best,Sally x
  • Posted

Hi Nix, I would give Citalopram another try. I am on 10mg and find they have stopped my panic attacks and anxiety is virtually nill now. Like you i had awful side effects, i couldn't eat or sleep and anxiety increased for a while. It took about 4 weeks till i started to feel the benefits and glad i did. The body takes a while to stabilise and i would think most drugs are the same. Hopefully this helps.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi that's good they worked for you smile I have the docs today so think I am going to give them another try. Are you still on them now? Did you take anything else with them? X
  • Posted

I think you got to fight thru and try these things. We are all different. Counselling will be a positive thing too.
  • Posted

Hi sweetie!! I would say to just try to think as postive as possible and keep yourself busy until your counseling starts next month. I am a person that doesn't believe that medication will cure oneself you know? I think we all have the strength deep down inside of us to find a way to help ourselves. And you seeking counseling is that first step. You maybe just need someone to vent to. Someone who you know will understand. Believe me I've been struggling with deep depression for years now. Contemplated suiscide on many occasions. Even attempted to take my life at one point thank god it didn't work lol just smile love and FIGHT I know it sounds a bit cliche but it's true. You don't need those pills. If you need ever need someone I'm here ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.