Citalopram dreadful side effects - warning

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just need to share this - not to put people off Cit but but just to inform others of my experience. On 10mg Cit for five days following a bout of depression.  Side effects were horrendous. Exteme panic attacks (never had one in my life); being 'knocked out' and having to literally crawl to bed for 2 hours once or twice a day; nervousness, agitation and uncontrollable trembling; nausea; no appetite; tearful and sobbing; diarrhoea; sweating; depair. I dubbed it my 'torture tablet'. Rang GP who immediately took me off them stating that I must be very senstive to this medication. If you get all of these effects in five days my strong advice is to stop. You may actually save your own life....

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The side effects that you had sound shocking Kieran, sorry to hear you went through such a rough time with them. I had a good few shocking side effects myself and decided they weren't for me early doors and stopped taking them

However.......

Different medications work in different ways on an individual basis.We had bad experiences on Citalopram however others have seen Citalopram change their life around for the better again therefore is does work for some.

• Posted

Thanks Matt. Yeah, I didn't want to put people off taking this as I'm aware it can work wonders for lots of people. Just don't want anybody to think they need to torture themselves for two  or three weeks in the hope that the side effects will susbside. I simply couldn't have survived another day.
  • Posted

I had the same thing happen to me besides the knocked out thing! It was terrible I was such a mess I went to the ER. It had me going nuts. My GP told me to not take it again. I took it for a week and now I'm on Paxil! 
    • Posted

Horrible ain't it....

What's the Paxil like?  It's another SSRI isn't it?

• Posted

Paxil has been much better! I have been on it a week and I do feel better. I'm taking it for depression and aniexy. It has done really well with my anxiety but I know it takes a little while to help depression. It hasn't made my depression worse like the celexa and I do seem to be getting better. A plus it makes mr sleep good at night where as the celexa made me have insomia. It is a SSRI smile
    • Posted

Is it* me* sorry I should proof read lol
  • Posted

Kieran, I had a lot of those symptoms too on citalopram, particularly the nausea and diarrhoea, sweating and shakes.  I also suffered sudden and quite severe hair loss.  My doctor said it was an 'allergic' reaction and told me to stop immediately.  I was so very ill on them but didn't realise it was the cit that was doing it.  I recovered very swiftly, almost all of the effects had gone within a couple of weeks.  Had continuing problems with the hair loss which my doctor insisted was due to stress but I was stressed before I took the cit and never had any problems with hair loss before taking them.  I was too scared after that to try another SSRI so have tried coping by doing meditation and trying more natural remedies.  Not perfect but I just couldnt face being so ill again on meds.
    • Posted

Hey Loxie, how long was you on the Cit for? I took my last one this evening so know I'm in for 24 hours more torture. I'm hoping to feel even half alive by Friday. Thanks
    • Posted

was on 10mg for about 3 months and then 20mg for about a month.  I had started to feel ill about a week into taking the 10mg but doctor said they believed some was due to anxiety and some were side effects which would pass but very quickly on the higher dose I got very sick indeed so they took me off them.  I didn't notice too many withdrawal symptoms, I guess I was just so grateful to stop feeling so ill I probably didnt notice them.
  • Posted

Ha you did better than me! I only lasted 3 days... Devil drugs.... Appreciate they help some people but. Was more depressed, panic attacks, hot sweats, grinding teeth, could not get up, or eat then had acid stomach pains! Awfull. Xx
    • Posted

I really appreciate that for some SSRIs are a 'lifesaver' and I also understand that sometimes the side effects can be awful but do pass.  Unfortunately my body just couldn't tolerate them - there's no way on earth I would describe how I felt as just 'side effects' - I was about to call 999 as I could hardly move and spent literally hours in the bathroom being sick and with diarrhoea but every time I tried to stand up I got dizzy and fell over.  Having half my hair fall out in the space of about 3 - 4 days was the final straw.  It has to be understood that intolerance of a given medication does sometimes happen - eg some people (including myself) cannot take penicillin - it's not a side effect, its an allergic reaction.  It's rare I agree but it should be monitored just in case.
    • Posted

Devil drugs.... I like that, very apt description. Never again...
    • Posted

Hi Loxie , I really feel for you as I can identify.

I experienced the same 'so called by the doctor side effects' . I took half a low dose citropram and 10 hours later suddenly felt like I was dying...rush of nausea, cold sweats shaking , felt paraletic drunk, disoriented, stomach leg cramps, felt my heart pumping loudly too slowly, worse headache ever had. Wanted to call 999 but couldn't function properly to coordinate body, my bowels opened. It was horrendous and soo scary. It took another day of recovery , rest and fresh air. I completely forgot about my anxiety and felt lucky to have survived! There is no way I would take these pills again. I know they help some people but be very careful . I also had a milder so called side effect with pencillin and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar scary side effects from both of these drugs. Iwhen I recovered I went to speak to the prescribing doctor who told me I was having a panic attack, I was/am soo frustrated as I know the difference. I am worried about taking any prescribed drugs now from not knowing the ingrdient that caused this v frightening episode. Does anyone know how to get tested to avoid this happening Again? I am trying to see a different doctor who can change my notes to tell the truth for future reference. Keep safe people and take v gradually etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.