Citalopram early side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, Im on day 2 of Citalopram 10mg

Within the first few hours of taking it I felt weird..... Tired fuzzy lethargic distressed and tearful.

I get a tight jaw from time to time and no appetite, though my appetite was up and down due to upset in my life.

It seems to have just got worse....

Is this normal? If so will it last? And how long do others feel this way for?

My Dr said there were no side effects apart from possible nausia with I have too.

Any advise from those who know a little more about taking this medication please.

Thanks x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I am taking 20mg of citalopram for nearly 4 months plenty on this site have taken them far lol her but what your describing are normal I too was the same it takes the body a while to get used to the medications but it does say early side effects are a sign it's the drug for you! I take propranolol door the physical symptoms of anxiety! Some people on here were prescribed a small sedative at the start as SSRIs can increase your anxiety to begin with!!

Trust yourself it's normal and always talk everyone here is great to chat too takes about 6-8 weeks for the drugs to get into your system then build up from there take care Emma x

• Posted

Morning Emma, Thanks for the reply.

Its awful, I have 3 little ones to look after and I dont know that I can do this for that long..... Ive woke up feeling worse, food and drink are making me gag im shaking. Wish the Dr had mentioned these things to me first, its so hard to know what to do.

• Posted

Hi Kerry rest assured it's totally normal hard but normal hun I too have three little ones have you support at home! Ring the doctor and explain he might give you something to help at the initial stage xx
  • Posted

Hi Kerry,

Totally agree with the other comments what you are experiencing is normal for Cita and it takes a while to get used to it and go with it. You may feel a little more anxious too, but that shows it is working to rid you of the anxiety! Seems a bit crazy. but t has sorted it and other things out for me.

Re bringing up yer little ones is there anyone close that could support you a little while you go through these stages, it would help. Perhaps someone who understands about what we are going through would be ideal. My little ones are 34 and 12 so I have it easier these days.

Keep in touch with this site and you will get all the support you could hope for here! There are wonderful people here with very good advice and a few mums.

Best wishes,

David

• Posted

I thnk you should read the information provided with the medication regarding potential side effects of this drug. If your doc makes a statement like the one he has made then I would suggest that he does not understand the potential significance of the side effects of these drugs. All you have to do is to look at the level of people who have gone through many various side effects of this drug.

Should you continue with your side effects, my advise is that you keep in close touch with your doctor or one that appears to understand the potential of this drug. M,any people under medical advise stop taking this drug as a result of unbearable side effects so do not be inhibited and struggle on with side effects.

I hope this helps

• Posted

My first few days were fantastic I had no anxiety at all and even thought I'd made the wrong decision taking them but then the side affects started and it was pure anxiety they way I had been feeling b4 starting only a bit more intense I'm on day 30 and they are beginning to work so hang in there it does get better 😀
  • Posted

Thanks every one, Im on my own with the little ones sad I spooke to my Dr and therapist yesterday and I was told I was having severe reactions and sensitivity to the medication and ive been advised not to continue with them.... I dont remember conversations and general things I did like collecting from pre school and school, today after not taking one for 24 hours my Jaw is less tence but aching, the shaking is easing up and I dont feel as fuzzy and tired. Im going back to the Drs next week for a chat and review what I do next. I didnt think I could have felt any worsee until I took these tablets..... After talking on the phone with my sister she had the same kind of reactions many years ago to these which lasted months before she stopped taking them. Thanks again to every one who has commented and supported my question x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.