citalopram effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am half way through third week of taking citalopram 20mg. Prescribed originally for stress and anxiety. Now I'm depressed anxious stressed all the time. This week I have not been dressed for 5 days not left my bedroom. I have not eaten. I am lying to everyone pretending I go out in the day and eat food. Today I hit bottom. I hurt my self. I contemplated it for a while. Then I cut my arm. It didn't hurt. I dis t feel anything. I still don't feel anything. I'm scared to tell anyone. I'm scared to leave the house. I'm on edge. Eveeytime a car goes past I either look or hide under covers I even hid in warddrobe incase someone come in the house. I know this isnt normal but I really cant help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Please ring your doctors and tell him everything you are feeling.

I was on Citalopram 40mg for 4 years and it did take 4 weeks to start to work.

Please can call the doctors and explain it all.

I know you say this is not normal, but it is more then normal then you will ever see, 1 in 20 people will be feeling some level of Anxiety now.

You do not need to feel this way, the doctor will talk it through with you.

x

• Posted

Please please ring your doctor now or someone close that you can talk too I really feel for you but you need help now so for your family or friends do it now PLEASE

Thinking of you xx

Lynn I'll listen

• Posted

You must see a doctor now and stop taking the meds, they are clearly making you much worse, I was on citalopram for 6 years,, get off it immediately before you do something worse than cut yourself,

Good luck mate

• Posted

AlexJ - I agree with all the others who have advised you to see an MD immediately. Some professionals

advise their patients NOT to stop a prescribed medication all at once. They recommend weaning oneself

off it gradually. But most important get to a doctor as soon as possible. You have my prayers and good

wishes for rapid relief from your terror and anxiety. All the best from Long Island, New York.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you. Still here. I went to the doctors and had a good talk. She wants me to keep taking them. I have a counciller appointment booked but not for another month. So my doctor wants to see me every week til them and. No way I'm going back to work yet. Today was hard. I was out but moments I couldn't take it but I kept going. Thanks for all your well wishes. I hope I can keep going. X
  • Posted

Hi alexj13

So glad you took advice been thinking of you

Take care keep posting on this site it does help xxx

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I had exactly the same reactions and symptoms as you are having with citalopram after starting a drug call clomipramine, it was horrific and i felt like ending it all,i was in a bad bad way and i called him for an emergency apt, and he ordered me to stop taking it immediately,,after stopping it i felt much better,and i was changed to effexor...now what i'm saying is everyone has different reactions to different meds and i'm just sharing with you first hand advice from my psychiatrist, if your having dark thoughts and self harming,,STOP taking the meds and insist on trying a different one....ironically citalopram worked for me for 6 years,but then stopped having affect.

Good luck mate,your not alone,you'll be ok, it will just take time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.