Citalopram- extremely anxious about taking them

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I've had anxiety and panic for 3 years now and it's totally taken over my life and got worse over the years. I'm overly anxious about anything and everything. I can't remember the last time I left my house and went out by myself. I feel as though I'm losing my mind. I went to my gp last year and he gave me 10mg of citalopram. I got to day 4 then stopped taking them. Stupid of me I know and I now regret it. I believed I didn't need medication and that I could do it by myself. I've always been scared of taking medication for anxiety. I hate taking paracetamol never mind anything else lol. Anyhow, I went back to my doctor last week and seen a different doctor. Told her the counciling wasn't helping but the anxiety is a big problem for me. She prescribed me with 20mg of citalopram this time. Its been a week now and I still haven't picked up the courage to take them. I get mad with myself because I know I should and need to take them, yet I haven't. I'm going on holiday in just under 3 weeks and I don't want to me feeling ill or extremely tired when I go. I just don't know what to do. I'm scared to take them because of the side effects. I've got it in my head that I'm going to suffer from all side effects possible. I know I probably won't, but anxiety it making me feel as though I will. If anyone could tell me about their experiences, what and if you suffered from side effects and how long for would be much appreciated.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

20mg is such a small dose but enough to make you feel better, maybe the first couple days u may feel a bit sick maybe not but you will be great for your holidays in 3 weeks , honsestly please start taking them today you won't regret it , I was on them for years and when u start to pick up u can reduce down to 10mg, let me no how it goes just stuck with it
  • Posted

Hi I am on cit 10mg for 12 days I have all the possible side effects I don't know how long will last for but like you I am terrified about them.

• Posted

I have no appetite,nausea, chest burning, anxious, I can't sleep I have to take sleeping tablets I think I am too stressed constant worry about my health I feel weak.I am thinking all the time that I might have a terrible disease ang I going to die...
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. X
  • Posted

Hi Skye

Just tried to post to you but it got lost somewhere!

Anyway, I've been on citalopram for years and had minimal side effects and its really helped me.  I'd say give it a go, but one warning, it isn't instant acting, you may have to wait a couple of weeks before you feel the benefits.  Side effects are different for everyone but with citalopram, I'd say definitely worth working through, and also, don't be scared of meds, I take loads of pills every day and they have saved me from a life of misery, depression, anxiety and mania.

All the best

xxx

• Posted

Hi Skye, Its perfectly normal to be anxoius about taking meds. SSRI's are a case of trial and error and you may not find the best one for you first time around. I have literally just experienced this in the last week. Sertraline is the most common for treating anxiety (apparently) and my doc perscribed me 50mg per day, but it really didnt agree with me. I was diagnosed with depression at 16 (now 28) and was originally given Citalopram which helped wonders. They recently put me back on citalopram and 5 days later I am feeling much better. Dont get me wrong, I was nervous about taking them and had med fear at first. They made me jittery, slightly more anxious and i felt sick, but i knew I had to stick with them as the side effects were bareable. Only you will know if you cannot cope with the side effects and make that decision to come off if you feel they arent working. I have been told that Citalopram is the most stable from the group which gave me some comfort. 

If it is any comfort to you, there is something out there for you and you WILL get over this! Nothing lasts forever and something will work for you if you see it through. 

All in all, I am having a great experience on citalopram and am now feeling normal. This time last week i felt as if it would never get better or go away, but guess what.... it did (and rather quickly). 

I strongly suggest you call your GP first thing and try to get an appointment tomorrow. Just tell the GP how your feeling (this always helps) and ask for their advice. They may wish to try you on something else. You need to stay strong, positive and understand that you will get over these feelings

take care 

tom  

• Posted

Hi, I was on 10mg of Citalopram but after taking them for a good 3 weeks I began having side effects (really bad tummy pains).  I went back to the doctor and he gave me 10mg of fluoxetine which really helped!  

I have always hated taking tablets but you have to give them a try they really do help!!!  

All the best x

• Posted

Hi there if it's any comfort for you I started citalopram 6 months ago and they changed my life completely. I started a 10 mg and now on 40 mg. I suffered same side affects as you and more but I did stick them out. The side affects are normal and will settle. The worse they make you feel when starting them means there's a good chance there going to help you. But I'm afraid you will have to ride it out. Believe me I used to worry about anything and everything. I'd wake up in the morning full off worry and everything from my past I couldn't let go. But know I feel like I'm starting each day with a clean slate. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your replies. I'm now on day 4. It's taken so long for me to take them, but after a week of everytime I left the house and having a panic attack I had to take them. Side effects are bearable at the minute. First day was horrible but I can deal with it. I've started with 10mg then increase slowly. I take mine at 11am. So far I've had tiredness, headaches (paracetamol gets rid), acid reflux (used rennies), feeling sick and last night had a tingly feeling in my lower arm. First night I didn't sleep well at all and kept waking up panicking, I believe that was just because I was so scared about taking the tablets and how they would effect me. 2nd night I had the best sleep in a long time, last night I didn't sleep too well because of the worrying about tingling feeling in my arm. Mornings seem to be worse, my partner goes to work and I have 2 young children. 1 at school so it's a little easier. I have had anxiety and lump feeling in my throat, it comes in I've waves. A bit weird but nothing worse than before. I just hope I don't experience anymore side effects and that these eventually wear off.
    • Posted

Also my jaw has been aching and felt a little on edge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.