Citalopram for 40 days, advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm 17 and have been taking citalopram for 40 days now, I am taking it for anxiety and depression. When I went to the doctors I went and told him I was in a constant bad mood, he only asked me if I'd ever seen anyone before to which I answered no. He also asked if my eating and sleeping was ok which I also answered no to. He gave me a prescription of citalopram 10mg and told me to go back in 3months. This was around July time this year, I stopped taking them after 3 days due to the side effects and lack of explaination from the doctor. In September I went back and explained why I hadn't taken them, he said there shouldn't have been any side effects and that he couldn't do anything else so I should continue to take them. I began to question why I received the prescription in the first place and he told me I had an anxiety disorder and depression. Now I've been taking them for 40 days, I think my anxiety has improved slightly but other than that nothing has changed. Now I don't know what to do, the medication doesn't change anything so I'm not sure what to do. I haven't gone back since I went the second time and the doctor didn't say to go back or anything. Would any of you be able to give me any advice please? Thankyou in advance, it would be much appreciated. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was on clitrapram last year an im back on it again. Docs don't seem to explaine things very well. They didn't to me an I was confused an gettin more anxious. Some one recommended I go an see a councel. I'm not usually into all that counciling stuff. But I got that desperate I would try anything. So I when an had some cognitive therapy. wich I can highly recommend to you. Because she explained everything to me. An I felt so much better. I'm am starting it again next week. I highly recommend it. 

Hope your feeling better soon xx 

• Posted

I pay an go privet because I wanted to go as soon as possible. But if you go to the Nhs web page they give you more info. Or ask your doc. Mabe if u change your doctors. Or see a diffrent doc in your docs. They will give u all the info u need. It's worth it. I promise xx  
  • Posted

Hello ! i've been taking 10mg of Citalopram for almost 2 years now. I had side effects for the first 2 weeks and then I adjusted to them. They have worked really well for me and my anxiety is much less now. However, I think that medication works best in combinaton with a talking therapy like counselling, to help understand what is underlying the anxiety and low mood  and find other ways  of managing it. Mindfullness training is working well for me, there is abook by Ruby Wax on training the mind, very useful and easy to read. Also, have a look at the Healthy Minds website to access support and counselling. Good luck!!! smile  
    • Posted

Thankyou very much. I'll try more online support, thanks 
  • Posted

Change your doctor by the sounds of it for try talk to him more as the one asking questions what side affects also maybe stick with it bit longer read on posts here they might guide you be lucky be strong
    • Posted

Thanks, I hate the doctors but I might go visit a different one and see what they say, I just find it so hard to speak to them 
    • Posted

I know its hard but worst thing not to know wat to say I always forget or don't know how to explain symptom's try when you have things 2rite them down also keep record of them and look on other people symptom s they sometimes give younthe word your looking for then write it all down give him it or read it to him then its like a task in good way because you have a plan
  • Posted

Hi citalprom takes about 4 months kick in so l am sure u will be fine just keep on taking the tablets, CBT is good ask your GP to book u for it but it can take as long as a year to get a appointment, u can read some books from the library about it whilst waiting, l am sure you will be fine.
  • Posted

Wow, your doctor seems to be uneducated with this drug!  "You shouldn't have any side effects, there's nothing else he can do and to go back in 3 months"??  Good gracious!  He should see you every 2 weeks initially.

Yes you will initially get side effects, some not very pleasant, but they do wear off.  Everybody takes different times to get better - some quicker than others.  The usual doseage is 20mg, but obviously your doctor has prescribed what's best for you.  It's good you feel the anxiety has improved a bit, and I'd imagine that it will improve more and the depression will slowly lift too.  It all takes time unfortunately.  Don't give up heart.

Is there another doctor in the practice you could see?  I refuse to see one certain doctor in my local practice as he's such an arrogant idiot.  I've been on Citralopram for over 10 years and my anxiety and depression have gone.  My doctor left and this new one came, and on visiting him for something completely different, his first words to me were 'isn't it about time you came off these'?  I asked if he knew my medical history and that it had been recommended these were for life ...... he took a quick look at my file and said 'oh yes'.

I think you should persevere a bit longer, as taking a low dose might be taking you longer to improve.  Never ever take a bigger dose though without discussing with your doctor first mind.

You could also go see another doctor.  It's your right to do so.

There are many SSRI's and each medication suits different people.  I'm on my 3rd type of medicine and it suits me well.

I hope things start to improve for you soon.  confused

Best wishes x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up