Citalopram for CFS??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

My GP has just prescribed me 10mg Citalopram. He thinks I may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but also kept asking if I felt depressed. I don't! I have suffered from depression in the past and I know the difference - I still have motivation, humour and a love of life, no panic attacks or anxiety.

I am very tired physically and mentally - I have had a viral infection and gone through a divorce as well as looking after my suicidal son. Oh, and working full time!

My Gp says 2 weeks rest and take the Citalopram. Will this help my tiredness/aches and pains or will it just affect my mental health? Having suffered from depression I don't want to go back there and have worked very hard to stay fit - mainly through exercise - after the viral infection I haven't been able to exercise - and am now very tired......

Does anyone else take Citalopram for CFS?

Thanx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm on cit but not for CFS. although sometimes I feel that is what i have as feel so tired all the time. May be your doctor thinks your CFS if because you have underlying depression. I'm not sure I would take cit if I wasn't depressed but it is definately helping me with depression.

Let me know how you get on.

KK x

• Posted

Yeah- I ve been on this stuff for yonks( fell no shame folks!). I dont think Im depressed, and people say I am anxious-I get the odd panic attacks, and I have the odd , okay the few million down days, but I still dont think its depression-but then I make the ultimte mistake of thinking depression is like grief-is it? Would someone care to define what is meant by depression?-it seems a very broad term with no real meaning, so people shouldnt really use the word. Was thinking about doing my pgd study on it for a laugh, but you know finding the odd psych student with depression may be harder than easy. Plus there is still stigma attached to the term ( which is absolutely ridiclous!) Stigma maybe shouls be attached to the sociopath-Id be more worried if my doctor turned around and said \"Your a psychopath\" Id be far more worried-though Ive not been told I have anything anyway. No I just take citalopram and diazepam annd baclofen as I have a drink problem -honestly if I need anmore pills Id be better off drinking some juice ( you know the type I mean).

Anyway, whoever you are, I owuldnt worry about it-if you dot think your whatever then you probably not, or if you are, you know youve been worse, and feel no shame in takng a pill, I know sweets which have a higher voltage of happiness in them-but dont -as the come down is too bad(ie) JOKING!!!

Oh yeah, Im currently splitting with my partner ( Now 12, nearly 13 years) we have two very lovely young children, but we were never married. He says hell go on eminute and then tries to shower e with gifts from second hand shops. Ive a bruise below my hip-which is unexplained, and not a penny to my name.Anyway, thers no shame in even being depressed, even if I were. Theres more shame in being an alcoholic ( which I am)

• Posted

Yes I take citaloprm 30mg for my CFS. I was reluctant at first thinking I don’t want antidepressants but they are not. They are serotonin and give you an uplift to help you cope with the exhaustion of CFS. I stared in a low dose but with my GP support have control over my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.