Citalopram from anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have been taking Citalopram for 2 days now. The first night I took it was awful, I got myself so worked up and worried about taking it that when I did I never slept a wink all night and was so panicky, restless, confused and sick all night, it was horrible. I convinced myself that this was because of the tablet which made it even worse. I took it again the following night and although I got a bit of a better sleep, I feel totally spaced out today, heaviness behind my eyes, get a bit tingly now and again, I just feel so weak.

I don’t know if I want to continue taking it or if I should just see it out because it might get better. I’m just worried it makes me worse and I go crazy lol.

My main anxiety is over my health which is why medication makes me so uneasy.

Any advise would be useful

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I too suffered with health anxiety, which is why I went on them, it's been 2 years now and I am free from it thank god for these tablets, I damaged muscle in my side by over training, as months went I done something silly everyone does which is look up on Google, and I found signs of cancer symptoms which made me worry so much i gave myself stomach cramps and diarrhea for six weeks, I didn't listen to my doctor he told me I was fit as a fiddle but didn't listen, we learn by our own mistakes,. Keep taking them and go through the side effects, I know their really bad but whether the storm, nobody knows what it's like until you experience anxiety to the max which is what the side effects give some people too, stick with it I'm glad I did xx

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Chris. I’ve only took them for 2 days now. The second day after being up all night I felt ok and I got a decent sleep last night, I will woke up a bit panicky during the night but I managed to shake it off and get back to sleep. All day today I have felt totally spaced out, my pupils are dilated, I feel shakey, I haven’t ate, I tried to get a sleep but woke up shaking and panicking. I called the doctors and he advised that I stop taking them if they’re making me worse. I can’t bare to feel like this on them
  • Posted

Oh I know Amanda, no exaggeration now but for me taking citalopram I had every side effects in the tablet even the rare ones but everyone's different it was the worst time in my life but looking back I would do it again, I'm married with two young children and been through hell, you will do it to, IV studied a bit on citalopram for a long time when I was at my worst, some doctors lack experience in this medication, usually the doctor should have told you to stay on citalopram for 4-6 weeks then go back to see him for referral because these tablets take a very long time to build in your system and during that time you'll experience side effects which mean the medication is working, my side effects lasted 5 weeks before they eased but during that time some came and went lasting around 4-5 days, always remember they will go away you won't have them forever and your not going insane this is very important because worrying about this will make you worse which stimulates your nervous system to react with vengeance, this forum helped me so much, especially katekogs who is such an amazing woman who put me on the right path of recovery by her experience on these tablets and knowledge xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for that, it makes me feel like I’m not alone and I’m not going crazy. Did you ever experience waking up from a sleep in instant panic like you were going to have a bad panic attack? That’s what is worrying me most just now.

• Posted

Yes I had that for 5 days, I'd fall asleep 20 mins later I'd wake upon like I can only explain it like shock and numbness down my shoulders like head shocks it's hard to explain but you get what I'm saying, fright that doesn't just stop, then I couldn't get back to sleep so I'd lay awake petrified feeling horrible pins and needles in my hands, then I fell asleep for an hour then woke again with the same thing, horrible it was, I feel for you I do but it won't last more than 4-5 days, if you need more reasurance about anything else your getting let me know because I'm sure IV had the lot, but keep taking them xx

• Posted

I started on 10mg for 5 weeks, then 20mg for 4 weeks felt good but not back to myself so I went on 30 and stayed on that for about 6 months but all that time I had strange feelings around my eyes that wouldn't go away so I dropped back to 20 and everything went back to normal IV been feeling so good the last year I'm thinking of slowly coming off but not yet, you will be the same in time, when the tablets kick in fully and you find the right dose you'll be on top of the world x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.