Citalopram hell of a time! :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had citaloram after my first born, was great, weaned off it and have a year just had my second child. So age one and three. At Christmas I just woke up and didnt really want to get out of bed. Restarted to take the drug in January 10mg, upped to 20mg as felt not a great deal better.

Now seeing a private consellor and on waiting list for NHS pshyc doctors to discuss medication/ways forward.

Feeling worse daily, this morning woken up with a on off pain right in the centre of my chest, for women in between breasts, lower down slightly.

I feel like I'm slowly loosing my mind and just totally as a loss of what to do! Anyone ever felt like the wires are just no longer working in your brain!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Seems a long time waiting for help from January x Will your doctor not put the dose up or change the medication x I upped my dose 9 weeks ago and feeling much better but in the first 3 weeks felt awful x Go back to the docs or even speak to pharmacist they are very helpful xThere is a l8ght at yhe end of the tunnel when you find the right medication
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you, I am fairly not wanting to just up medication as I've no idea why I feel like this and don't want to be on medication all my life. Its terrifying really

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi i understand that sometimes it is down to hormone imbalance x You wont be on meds all your life it can just help when you need them you can wean off them when you get back to normal x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

My little girl is 3, and since she was 8month old. Then came off about 18 month after thaking and had about 6 month free of them then about 6 month ago all of a sudden was like I woke up a different person!
      Report Reply
    • Posted

My little girl is 3, and since she was 8month old. Then came off about 18 month after thaking and had about 6 month free of them then about 6 month ago all of a sudden was like I woke up a different person!

Report this

❤ 0

Report Reply
    • Posted

Going off and on ssris is quite challenging because every time you come off it gets harder and harder for your brain to stabilize. Why put your body thru that drama when you can stay on them for life...if you need them you just simply need them..I know because iam recovered and still on them 10milligrAms. .I ain't for sure going to put my brain and body thru all that trauma again ..by coming off them because iam recovered..no way ..

Report Reply
    • Posted

This time since Jan, initially I took 10mg then after 6 weeks upped to 20mg as I really didnt feel better. I hope to god it may be just that I came off entirely too early. This feeling of depression is different to last time though, I have become anxious about things and its out of my control the feeling, would citalopram still be ok for this? In your opinion
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I think it tends to be different the 2nd time around i took a while longer this time to get back feeling normal again x I am on 20mg and it seems to work for me dont be worried about taking the meds if it gets you feeling normal surely thats better x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Have you taken on two separate periods ? I am at the doctors Friday next week I think to go over the new problems and they'll review the citalopram. I hope to god it gets me somewhere. The worst thing about it all is how much it affects your loved ones. I could cope to a point with feeling so bad but its now rubbing off on everyone around me

Report Reply
    • Posted

I know its hard for people to understand that hasnt suffered with it x i was taking 20 mg went down to 10 mg then came off it had to go back on 10 mg was doing fine until i was on antibiotics which didnt agree with me and anxiety went off the scale its been hard . Thinking i would never be normal again now when i am back to myself i think how was i ever that bad x A lot of the time there is no explanation for it but we need the help x I hope you get it sorted and i wish you all the best
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I was doing really well my anxiety was set off by grief so when i had councelling etc i was getting to the stage where i was forgetting to take the tablets i was doing really well.on 10mg x
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Oh yes the tablets will make you feel so good that people forget to take them..I personally think that the tablets really do help.. praying for your recovery..
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Well hoping there is light! with just being on for PND I thought would be easy to come off and be fine. Something stupid set it off again. Hoping the private counselling might help see what that was. Life is nuts at the  moment as well so could be a number of things ! LOL 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Sometimes our anxious minds get caught up in stupidity that we crash..and anything can set if off..once that fuse has been burn..for some strange reason the anxiety returns..
      Report Reply
    • Posted

The same thing has happened to me Kayleigh, I wish I’d never stopped taking them and now I’m trying to get by on 20mg whilst working and been a parent. I’m going to start CBT in the next two weeks so I’m hoping this will help but if you’ve been on the 20mg for a few months now and they’re not helping then I would see a doctor about increasing the dose.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

For some people it takes longer than a few months it took me 8months..had no choice I try every ssris on the market..so I just stuck with to it...now iam recovered on ten milligrams and still on them...
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Did you ever have to go over 10mg as I only took the 10mg for 1month and then they upped it to 20mg and it’s been an awful three weeks and I’m just desperate to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Last time I started on 10 but needed 20 then I tapered off to 10 after 4 years and I was ticking over so well on 10 with no anxiety, I wish I’d not stopped taking them. Now I wonder if I can get back to where I used to be and if I do I’ll not stop taking them ever again.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Gemma! I know it’s been a few months but I was just checking to see how you are feeling now. I’m kinda in the same position as you so I thought I’d see how you’ve been the last couple months. Are you feeling any better?
      Report Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up