Citalopram... HELP!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. So i have been on Citalopram for about 2.5 years now. I started on 10mg, moving to 20mg, then to 30mg and now 40mg. Recently i have missed a couple of weeks of tablets. Not purposely and i know its a stupid thing to do as your not supposed to just come off them. I was wondering what side effects you have all suffered when coming off the tablets? At the moment i am really really weepy, emotional and covered in eczema. I dont know if this is becasue i have stopped my tablets or because of other things going on in my life. So it would be good to know how everyone else has felt when stopping Cit.

Any help would be appreciated smile

xx

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In simple terms it's the tablets. I'm not saying you wouldn't get weepy any other time, life's like that, we have ups and downs. But coming off 40mg without any weening is a very reckless thing to do. Your body needs time to adjust, as it did when you went on them. What you are doing is risking rebound anxiety. I suggest you go to your Docs as soon as poss. Things will be ok, but go to your Docs.
  • Posted

When I came off them many years ago I remember kind of a slight buzzing of anxiety,nothing major,,I wasn't noticeably shakey and on edge,,I also kept going dizzy and lightheaded.

Funnily enough it didn't frighten me. I was mentally strong by this point so wasn't worried that I was slipping back,I knew it was withdrawal.

I remember my mum being heartbroken when she saw me because she could see the constant shaking and edginess and didn't understand why if I was better I was showing these signs...I had to explain it was withdrawal.

I tapered down slowly to 10mg and then did every other day,then every 2 days until I was on just one per week.

Looking back,I see myself in pretty bad shape withdrawing but at the time I didn't feel it....I just got on with life and accepted that this was withdrawal and other than the physical effects,I was well xxx

• Posted

Dear Niccik,

i am on Escitolopram 10mgs ,along with numerous other Meds and just going "cold turkey" is not the best thing to do,as you will suffer withdrawal symptoms.

the best way is to wean yourself off very gradually.

Whilst overseas a few years ago,I ran out of my OxyContin due to being unable to get home as the volcanic ash had stopped all flights.

i was twitching,could not keep still,felt I was going crazy...ended up taking cold relief Meds just to get something in my system!!

Anyway,if you stop taking them abruptly you may suffer discontinuation symptoms,including feeling dizzy,weepy,nauseous,anxious,unable to sleep,shaky,irritable,palpitations but to name a few....seriously not a good idea if can be helped,especially as you were up to 40mg.

it is a horrible spaced out feeling....just hope that this is of some help and that you are able to get some and wean yourself off them gently.

• Posted

Hi niccik, I stupidly tried weening myself of cit around june/july..... I ended up a complete emotional wreck, I was crying at anything and everything, it was horrible, since going back on cit (20mg) 5 weekw ago I have not cried once. Regards your eczema I cant answer that im afraid, but as regarding myself, no cit = blubbering wreck! Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.