Citalopram help

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for 5 days now and the doctor said this is when its suppose to start working properly but this morning and now my anxiety is worse than it's ever been..

Does anyone know why? When will this get better?

2 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

No I don't know why theyd tell you it would work that quick. It takes a minimum of two weeks to really show improvement. Realistically up to 4.. Just keep taking it. If in 4 weeks you don't feel right still, increase your dose
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All AD's can take up to 6 weeks to work,symptoms will also get worse before they get better.

There is no smooth ride with AD's

Your doc should have told you that

Stay Strongcry

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Louise

It took me about 4/5 weeks to get any sort of effect. Stick with it. What dose are you on. I started on 10mg but it wasnt doing enough so Im now on 20mg and that seems to be much better. chin up.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Citalopram was rough going for me. Going on I had dreadful symptoms and increased anxiety for 4/6 weeks. After 6 weeks I felt much better. So much better in fact that I decided after 3 months to taper off. Worst mistake ever. Give it a chance to work, it is a life changer. Good luck!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Louise i'm on Citalopram 10mg a day and and its my sixth day today it did increase my anxiety but always think its our Brain sending wrong signals to body stay strong and don't think a lot i know its not easy but you will get through you are stronger person hope for the best. And don't stop tabs soon you will see changes. May God Gives You Strenght Stay Strong. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi it takes about 1 month at least normally before they work
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm reading about that drug. You should call your doctor if you start experiencing anxiety..
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it takes longer than five days my love anything between 2-4 weeks my doctor told me and it does feel worse in the first week or two just stick with it and it should start to work 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hopefully you will feel better soon or from today coz its going to be your 6th dose today hope it kicks in from today. Try drinking Camomile Tea 2 to 4 cups a day and try to distract yourself watching some movies or comedy or playing games on the Phone and try some CBT videos on youtube. 

As i said befor i am in the same situation as you 7th day on Citalopram and it make my anxity and panic high durrng the day maybe coz i am taking it in the morning. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i was told by my family doctor it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get into your system fully and for your body to start to adjust. For me it took a bit longer but it does work , be patient and hang in there...

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up