Citalopram HELP

Posted , 13 users are following.

Was wondering if anyone could help? 

I suffer with severe health anxiety that has been going on for a number of years. Anyway with frequent weekly visits to the GP and constant visits to A&E my GP thinks it’s time to go on something. Anyway I started on 20mg Citalopram yesterday and today I’ve got extreme anxiety and a burning feeling all over my chest and arms! Is this normal? Or should I stop the medication? I am not due to see my GP until Thursday 😓

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is all normal side effects from your med..it will remain like that for a while everyone's different or it may go away quickly..is just a side effect it can't hurt you..it feels like it though..

• Posted

Honestly I can't cope with these symptoms I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. I've got back pain, and a fluttering chest and this burning sensation I don't think I can carry on with these tablets 😓

• Posted

Go down to 10mg, I would it's your body, just tell the doctor you could not cope with 20mg, you can cut it in half with knife just to see how you get on, to see if side effects are less, if you feel better just tell him what's the worse he can do, from someone who took 10mg, with no side effects,

• Posted

I felt horrendous for the first two weeks of starting citalopram, but it’s all a normal part of the process, the effects do settle down. I started on 10mg
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply star I feel horrific, I really don't think I can continue. I've got chest pain.

• Posted

Or ask your doctor for a small dose of diazapam...that will take away all those side effects..
    • Posted

Hi Lois thanks once again for your reply, ive just phoned the out of hours GP and im hoping he will give me something. I cant sleep i feel like im going out my mind and this is off one dose 🤨

• Posted

Yes Sam doctor giving you diazapam will help..and also half the dose will help you also..I remember my twenty milligrams doctor prescribed was a night mare..and as soon as I switched to ten the night mare subsided some it wasn't so intense.and I recovered on ten milligrams..

• Posted

That's what keeps you in this constant cycle - the fear of fear itself, or better known as anxiety.  If you want this nightmare to stop once and for all then allowing the anxiety symptoms to be there for a while whilst the meds take effect is the way forward.  Anxiety can't hurt you even though it feels very uncomfortable and frightening - it is in effect just a release of energy.

I suffered with anxiety for 16 years and within 6 months of taking meds I recovered.  It was worth it and ended the nightmare.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I will understand the fear on fear cycle, it’s just my anxiety is focused around me health, I have health anxiety so any sort of a symptom sends me into a frenzy 😓.  I hope I can pluck up the courage to start with 10mg. 

• Posted

Hi Sam

Yes the health anxiety becomes part of that fear cycle - you have anxiety or even a health issue to start with, the anxiety causes overthinking and worry, and the health issue causes anxiety too.  The anxiety feeds the anxiety.

If you're concerned about the side effects of the meds ask your doctor about splitting the dose again down to 5mg.  It will reduce (or even stop) the side effects.  You can then increase to 10mg after maybe a month?  If you found the 5mg too difficult it would be easier to stop that small amount.

Anyway have a chat with your doctor.

K x

• Posted

This was me six weeks ago but I was jumped up from 10mg to 20mg very rapidly after only four weeks to adjust to 10mg. I think that the others are right that it’s slowly does it, the anxiety and panic does heighten before it gets better. I had to take diazepam for two weeks and it did help get me through the tricky part.

• Posted

Hi Sam 

i know how you feel I have been on citilopram for twelve weeks and I still have some 

anziety but I came of them at Christmas and six weeks later I had to go back on them 

the side effects where bad but with the help of my doctor I was just about able to get through I had to get sleeping tablets as I couldn't eat or sleep I lost a lot of weight

but you need to keep your GP as to up as to how you are coping I never had trouble 

sleeping but I still need the tablets it is like a roller coaster ride and I am proud of myself because so many times I wanted to gave,up Sam if there is any way I can help you I am no expert but I can maybe tell you what help I got from my doc and my family

regards ,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.