Citalopram - How long before it works?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has been on Citalopram for nearly seven weeks with no response. He was started on 20mg, then upped to 40mg and has for the last two weeks been on 60mg. There has been no response to his deep depression whatsoever. If fact he is geting worse if anything. His mental health worker keeps telling him 'they should kick in any day now' but just how long does he have to wait. He is distraught and although I am being very supportive I am beginning to wane and get depressed myself. Anybody our there with an experience of Citalopram not working or taking this long to work?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I can't imagine what you are going through, but what i do know that its all trial and error I was first put on prozac which was awful for me.But even worse for my husband as i went on a real high and he could't get any sense out of me.

I'm now on citalopram and diazepan which is due to the fact that the doseage of citalopram was too low and i had a crisis.

My husband has been extremely supportive and i know very worrid which has caused him a lot of problems at work.

My Gp says its all trail and error until they find sometrhing that works, so try and hang in there the fact that hes seeking treatment is a start and eventually things will get better.

Cognitive therapy books may help you as they teach you how to deal with these sort of problems and when your husband improves they will help him too.

Hang in there take care, improvement will come.

Lizzy

• Posted

Yes I know its trial and error but he has already tried, Amitryptline, Fluoxetine, Clomipramine and Olanazapine. At the momemnt it's whiskey or port and/or 10mg Diazepam which are the only things that give him some relief but these are only for a short period and then once their effect has worn off, he is worse afterwards. He has tried not to take the alcohol or diazepam but says that its either that or he will be forced to 'end it all'. His GP will not give him any more diazepam and has told him not to drink but his psychiatrist has said he needs to get relief somehow so he can take diazepam and alcohol. I am at my wits end. Each day I pray there will be some sign of improvement but each day I am so dispondent. You can image how he feels. I try to tell him he needs to tell the mental health worker that he wants to try another medication but each week he just comes back and tells me they say 'it will kick in soon'. He is attending CBT and has had 2 sessions and will eventually be good for him but at the moment the overiding symptom is the deep depression. I am crying as I write this because I feel so low and hopeless. I want my husband and our life back and I don't see any light at the end of a very black tunnel.
  • Posted

Was he drinking whilst taking the citalopram? That could be why it's not working., alcohol being a depressant.
  • Posted

Hi

Have you thought about trying a herble remedy for yourself just to help give you a boost and maybe it may make you feel more able to cope.

I'm on these drugs due to anxiety and very mild depression so really can't help in the depression area but am happy to chat to you if it helps.

I know without the strong support from friends who listen to me i would be in a really bad way now.

I'm 43 years old and have four children I live in the East Midlands.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi KL,

Havent been on here for a while, but i read your posts and i felt for you, Ive suffered depression for years now, been on ads but not no more, i just fight it, guess im lucky enough to have strength to, why im posting is that i enjoy a drink, too much i know and i know it causes more harm than good but words are easy, actions arent. Does your husband or can he pin point what the cause of his depression is? Im lucky i can, still hard solving it but at least i know, pin pointing it is the start, for me i know if certain things were to change then maybe id be ok, but being depressed is like living on a knife edge. I dont object to ads not at all, anything that relieves that gut wrenching pain and sheer lack of will i condone, it must be hard but u sound so supportive and for that hats off, KL, theres no easy cure, for me I know i will live with this for rest of my days, i havent a cure , i can atleast think rational, then again i cried myself to sleep xmas eve, yet the downers dont last as long now. Your husband sounds like he has lots of love and support, does he ever have a time when he seems slightly better without the drink? Im no expert ,far from it, for me exercise has greatly helped, then again you have to have the strength to do something, it is hard but encourage encourage, remember look after u as well, take care, post on here, I will even when content, got me through some tough times and will continue to,

• Posted

hi...i was on citalopram for depression, and went up to 60mg, but found i was still having mood swings, so am now on fluoxetine. Did your husband experience any of the side effects? i found they made me feel a fair bit worse to start with, and had strange side effects like restless legs, and bad insomnia. but the side effects wear off, and the tablets did help. perhaps if he isnt experiencing any of the side effects then the citalopram isnt effecting his system?.. i would try and see if he can go for a few days without the alcohol, it has a seriously bad effect on me, and even a small bottle of lager will leave me anxious and depressed for a couple of days. i dread to think what whiskey would do, and havent had a drink in three years.

have you looked into the nutritional changes you can make to help with the depression? i have been on a hypoglycemic diet for about a week, with no sugar or refined carbs, and am feeling an awful lot better now than i have in years.

there is lots of info on the web, here are a few links that might be useful,

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/hypoglycemic_diet.html

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/artic..._disorder.html

http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-i...in-resistance/

there is an online test you could try too,

http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp

i hope this is some help, i really hope he is back on his feet and feeling better soon, good luck :hug:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.