Citalopram increase 10mg to 20mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on citalopram 20mg on and off for ten years. Everytime ive came off meds im back on them within 3 months if not before. I seem to suffer anxiety and depression. I was reduced to 10mg from 20mg but have fell back down. Been too docs and upped my dosage to 20mg again. Im on day 9 and im not feeling any better yet. Feeling very tired exhausted even very weepy and nervous and my sleeping pattern all over place. You would think i would be used too this by now just wondering if anybidy else like this and is 9 days too soon for improvement x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yeah too soon hun I'm in day 16 of being increased to 20mg n although alot better I'm still up and down with anxiety n depression it can't take 4-6wks for you to feel better x
    • Posted

Thanks its nice have some reassurance isnt it. I hate this im a bubbly person and ive no problems stresses or worries. Its crazy i just have no reason too be like this what so ever. So frustrating x
  • Posted

I've been on Citralopram for over 10 years, and my depression and anxiety has gone.  I came off them a year ago and my illness didn't come back, but sadly decided to start them again 2 months ago due to family illness and I need to be strong and well for now.  I'll come off them again when the times right.

It was strange restarting them as I'd forgotten how the side effects were.  Anyway, 2 months in and I feel back up on top again.  It takes a while, and everyone is different.  For me it takes about 5-6 weeks.  I was weepy, yawned a lot, headaches, stomach problems, nausea, dreadful anxiety, sleep problems and weird thoughts.  All gone now.

There are many SSRI's available, and all are tailored to suit different people.  This one is the 3rd sort I tried.

Persevere though the side effects and you will start to feel better.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you for the reassurance i know they have worked for me all this time on and off them. You would think i would be able reassure myself by now but when you feel so vunerable weak and sad you just cant see it and that stupid thought takes over that there not goin work again xx ill keep going and try relax a bit. I think i get frustrated and even more upset because i want to be me now. Then im trying be quick to get back work i just cant go back yet feel just too weak and not with it and crying alot. X
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean!  It's the same for me too :-)  Even though you know they work for you, when you're back in that bottomless pit again, that negative voice keeps telling you they won't this time.  Yes it's painful having to wait isn't it ...... you so want to be well now.

Keep plodding on - it will slowly happen!

K x

• Posted

thanks hope your ok. Ive been for ride out to southport today for some fresh air out in the open. At least Ive been out today so thats a positive i suppose. I miss myself though sad but you know how it feels. We will get there Im sure. There is one thing no doc is messing about with my meds again xx
    • Posted

I think it's great you got out today. I am trying to do the same even though just want to curl away from the world. 

After 4 days on 10g I have been 3 days on 20 and struggling with anxiety, and insomnia. After histories of GP's bad attitudes  / being dismissive about mental health, I don't really trust them either that they really know what they are doing and wish they were a bit more knowledgable about mental health and meds, although a new young doc I have got now seems a bit more clued up than my previous.

I read some stories about people feeling better within a week and others 6 weeks. I keep hoping if I hear more of the former they will somehow subconciously make my brain do that too ha ha. Seriously though, feel for you and hoping you, I and everyone else get's the relief we are after soon. Warm wishes x

• Posted

I think it's great you got out today. I am trying to do the same even though just want to curl away from the world. 

After 4 days on 10g I have been 3 days on 20 and struggling with anxiety, and insomnia. After histories of GP's bad attitudes  / being dismissive about mental health, I don't really trust them either that they really know what they are doing and wish they were a bit more knowledgable about mental health and meds, although a new young doc I have got now seems a bit more clued up than my previous.

I read some stories about people feeling better within a week and others 6 weeks. I keep hoping if I hear more of the former they will somehow subconciously make my brain do that too ha ha. Seriously though, feel for you and hoping you, I and everyone else get's the relief we are after soon. Warm wishes x

• Posted

• Posted

We will im hoping too but we will. I ve been on my increased dose now for ten days. I didnt think it would take this long with just increasing from 10 to 20mg. But it must do eh!! I know about some docs not interested as when i was at my very very worst in 2004 i walked out docs with no help no increase nothing and this was half mg i had no where else to turn. My dad went up to the surgery and absolutely rail roaded the doc saying that i had gone to her for help and how hard it was for me to go. I lost my ten year career with this illness and it has never left me since then. but the citalopram must work as ive had other jobs and got on with my life like i want too. Its only when ive come off the meds or been reduced that i end up like this again. So for me now i am not reducing or coming off them again no way im not bothered if i have to take a tablet too function and be me again then thats fine. I diabetic needs insulin an asthmatic needs inhaler and so on i obviously must have a chemical imbalance some how and i need citalopram. I also have sleeping trouble wide awake at night but so so tired everything feels like a dream and im there in body but feel like im not there too if that makes sense xx
    • Posted

It really is an awful illness, but from what I read I think some people stay on them for life it suits them. Nothing wrong with that, I will if it stops the mental, horrible darkness and wurring of my head and anxiety. Good luck x
  • Posted

Yes you do miss being 'you'.  I was first ill in 1979 and found the experience with doctors awful.  I was terrified of what was happening to me, and found doctors attitudes quite shocking really.  One doctor really helped eventually, though it was 15 years before I was out on an SSRI - my life then changed!  That was over 10 years ago and I've never looked back.  My doctor said they'd probably be for life.

However professional a doctor is in the mental health field, I don't think anyone fully understands what it's like to be like this unless they've had it.  It's the most terrifying and emotional illness I've ever had, and I never want to be there again.  I used to think I was the only one, as nothing was ever explained properly.  What I've learnt about this illness is what I've read over the many years.

Strange now this medication makes everything so much better

• Posted

Do you still feel like you on the citralopram katecogs? Knowing how crap they are now can't imagine how hard it must of been for you in 1979. You must be really strong to get through that. This board is great for remembering you are not the only one or alone. x
    • Posted

Hi caramax

Yes I do feel like me again on the Citralopram.  Looking back to how ill I felt, dark emotional days, it's hard to believe nobody actually knew of my illness as I hid it well.  Only those close to me.  I carried on as normal, and cried quietly away on my own.  People didn't talk of it ..... depression was something that was kind of hid away.  I lost many years ..... thank god for SSRI's.

I think actually depression has made me a better person ..... I adore life so much now and think the experience has given me a better insight into the illness.

:-) :-) :-)

• Posted

That's so lovely to hear katecogs smile

I'm sure it's in my family in one way or another but no diagnoses still some shame attached. Great to hear people like yourself who not only come out the other end but better for it. I think it does give you great compassion for others suffering. Can't wait to feel like you describe there - just gona keep hanging on. Warm wishes and thanks to you x

• Posted

I think it's in our family too.  My sister and nephew have had depression, and sadly my own son had a melt down 2 months ago and is on Prozac.  He's struggling and think he's on the wrong medicine (to be reviewed at his next doc appointment).  It's very painful watching your own child go through exactly what I did, but I'm thankful there's better medicine around now than was available for me years ago.  This is why I needed to restart my meds again so I can be strong for him.

I'm optimistic he'll recover once his meds are sorted.

I hope you reach that well feeling soon caramax - and everyone out there going through their own personal struggle.  We're not alone x

• Posted

x Good luck to you and your son, I hope he gets the right meds for hom soon. It's good he has you as support and you are aware what best works for you. All the best to you, jeanette71732 and everyone on here x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.