citalopram increase

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi All

I haven't been here for a while & have been taking Citalopram 20mg for about 5mths. My GP has suggested I increase this to 40mg to further reduce my anxiety in the hope that it will allow me to sleep better.

I'd appreciate any info from others on 40mg, I've been on it for 10days now & I'm still feeling light headed & spaced out, has anyone else experienced this?

Hope you're all doing well.

Take care

Annette

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My dr put my dose up to 40mg after I'd been on 20mg for about the same length of time as you. I think the light headedness lasted about a couple of weeks. But, I did find this dose was too much for me. I did sleep like a log, but I found it hard to wake up in the morning, and even harder to get out of bed. It felt like my body was still asleep, really heavy and lacking in co ordination. Going downstairs first thing was a real test! I have now gone back to 20mg.

I hope you get on OK.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Madge, it was just the info I needed. I'm feeling really rotten, I used to suffer from Migraine but havent had one for 6 weeks, now i've had one for the last 4 days! I also feel like my head is in a bag & if i slow down any more i'll come to a stand still.

I'm going to give them another week then consider dropping back to 20mg, I'd rather deal with a little anxiety than feel like this, I teach & have too much responsibility to like I'm in a haze!

Thanks for your help

Annette

• Posted

Hi

I have been on 40 mg in the past, started on 20, then 30 and then 40. 40 really helped lift my depression but I became kind of too high so went back down to 30 then 20. I think I needed the 40 to kick start my mood. Cit really help me.

I have just started taking it again. Staring on 20 and increasing to 30 next Friday. I am having some dreadful side effects. I'm trying to stay positive but finding things really difficult at the moment.

Let me know how you are doing on 40mg.

KitKatxx smile

• Posted

Hi Kitkat

Thanks for your help.

I've been on 40mg for a week now, had some side effects, muscle aches, dryer mouth, headaches, a general feeling of being spaced out & lack of co-ordination/concentration. My psychologist has suggested I try it for two more weeks & if things haven't improved she suggests I see a psychiatrist - not sure about that, sounds rather scary!

S I'll stick with it in the hope of better things to come!

Take care

Annette

• Posted

Hi Annette

Try the 40 mg for another 2 weeks like you have been advised. I'm under a psychiatrist, its not scary, although I dont see him much. I get more support from the psy nurse. She has really helped me stay positive.

I go up to 30 mg next Friday. I still feel very sick worse in the morning but its there all day. Having trouble eating etc because of the dry mouth. This does pass as I have been on them before I just hope they work for me like they did before.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on and I will you.

It all just takes time which is frustrating when we feel as we do.

Take care

KitKatx[/u]

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up