Citalopram increase

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice, I was put on cit 10mg at the start of August and had really horrible side effects which started easing around 2 weeks ago however was still getting really anxious (though not as bad as before) so last Thursday my doctor increased to 20mg. Since then the side effects haven't been as bad however I've noticed that I feel so anxious as though someone bad is going to happen to me and on a night my leg and arm vibrate from the inside of that makes sense. Also on a morning till around 3pm my hands shake so bad. Has anyone else had this? Starting to feel a bit disheartened that maybe this isn't normal and I'll never get better.. if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated .

Nicola x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Everything you describe is normal. I had everything you are now having. My hands were really shaky and that vibration you mentioned in your leg I also had at the top of the leg just under my bum cheek it feels really weird doesn't it. It will settle down soon I assure you. You need another week and these symptoms should be on their way out.

Going up from 10mg to 20 was really hard for me but it was well worth it.

Keep in touch

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi just to reply to your post. I was on 10mg for 2 weeks and just started 20mg 3 days ago. And I have now started to constantly want to clear throat it's driving me mad I also feel anxious. But wax feeling good on 10mg I am confused. As for this irritating throat clearing feels like my throat muscle won't keep still. Help
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

Yes, all to be expected when you increase. I had the same, but I feel because after discussing (with each increase) with my Dr how things were and the benefits of increasing or staying at 10 or 20 or 30mg I felt it best to increase.

Anxiety levels shot up again with first increase and then dropped after a while and and disappeared about 4 months in. That is when I first went out on my own.

As we always say, everyone is different and it takes as long as it takes, but you will feel the benefit in the end.

Try and stay positive, keep going forward, sideways is ok and even the odd step back is acceptable, keep reading and keep posting!

Regards and Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me smile

Haha David the sideways comment made me chuckle! I know you are right in what you say one step at a time I guess.

Lorraine, yes it definitely is weird i wondered what was happening to me, did you notice any weakness in your leg the day after?

Deep down I understand that it's the anxiety causing me to be so worried however sometimes I get the nagging thought "may be this time something is really wrong sort of thing"

Hi Nina, I've only had the clearing throat on a night but not too often thankfully, can imagine it not being very nice on a regular basis. Still early days for both of us so fingers crossed things can only get better.

Does anyone have an issue with sleeping, since starting cit on the 9th August I've found that I can drop off okay but I always wake up around 2.30/3am and cannot get back to sleep for a good 2 hours most of the time.

Nicola x

• Posted

Hi Nicola, Yep they are all side effects your brain is slowly adapting to these chnages the balance is becoming more balanced chemically all I can say is be strong and patient try not freak teh axiety is often common kind of like a paradox effect upsets first to start working if you get me. I'm 4 months into it and still have minor effects hardly noticable which for me is acceptable compared to the way I was!! Take care!
  • Posted

Hi Nic. I have taken Citalopram since Jan this year. I found it to be one of the better medicines for my depression and anxiety and I have tried quite a few. They all take time to have effect. It is a slow process but the right one. I have found lots of side affects but the worst for me is having to the run the toilet several times a night. 

I have learned that the best time to take my medication is an hour before bedtime. I have found the time of day to take it is important because pf drowsiness. The best way to get back to sleep is to clear your mind of every thought. I always think of a blank piece of paper. Never be tempted to get up out of bed, make a cup of tea or read a book, the idea is to switch off completely and just concentrate on nowt, especially no negative thoughts, ZZZzzzz. 

Best Wishes you'll be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.