Citalopram increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been on citalopram 20 mg for over 3 years managing ok and after having the birth control injection 2 weeks ago all my depression and anxiety symptoms are back! Doctor has put me on 40mg now. How long will it take to kick in? I can’t cope with these feelings. They make me not want to live! And will the increase in medication actually work? Help please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there Jan! You will get through this. Don’t let it overcome you. The medication will kick in and you’ll start to feel better, just give it time.  It is a side effect of the upped medication. You got through it once, you can do it agai . 

I was advised not to have the injection so when it’s due in 3 months don’t have it. I’ve been fine since I’ve not had it. All it is, is adding more hormones and you’re body in adapting to it.

We’re all here for you. 😘 xx

• Posted

Thanks. Can I ask which contraception method you do use? Or do you not? I want something that isn’t going to make me feel like this again. Thanks 
    • Posted

I don’t use any at the moment. When I spoke to the nurse, she advised me not to have any for a while until my body is used to the cit as it is an emotional form of contraception. She said if you don’t want anything like that I.e. the pill, implant and injection then get the coil. 

I’ve had the implant and it was even worse than the injection. Xx

• Posted

Thank you, and will my body go back to normal with none of these feelings once it’s out my system? 
  • Posted

As you've been okay on cit for 3 years, I would think the increased dose will certainly work for you. Think you are looking at 8 to 12 weeks for signs of improvement.

• Posted

Messing around with hormones is always issues with celexa...so folks take notes
  • Posted

if you are on 40 mgs ,give it 8/10 weeks for it too work,the ssri needs  too build up in your system and  also build up in your body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.