Citalopram increase

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I’ve been on citalopram 20mg for about 4 weeks I definitely feel some improvement but my doctor wanted me to increase to 30mg how long before I should notice a difference? It took 4 weeks for it to initially kick in will it take that long again? I’m reluctant to change to a different anti depressants as have had no side effects from citalopram at all which is good! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sherri

Like you I was very lucky and did not suffer with side effects when I started Citalorapram.  30mg is a high dose, listen to your body, if you feel you need to increase then go for it, if you feel ok on 20mg then stick with that.  Everyone is different, 30mg may suit you or it may not.  Do you feel you should increase it?  have read many times on here that it can take time to really work.

• Posted

Hi Sherri, I was on the 20mg for 12 weeks and didn’t feel like I was improving enough so I went up to 30mg two weeks ago and I’m doing better already, I know I still have a way to go but I’m glad I went up. We’re all different though and it can take around three months for a dose to kick in properly.x

• Posted

Thanks Paul/Gemma

I appreciate your advice I know I have to give it time I have increased to 30mg and I think the last few days I’ve started noticing a difference. I’m lucky I have a very supportive GP as well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.