Citalopram increase seems too much

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started off at 10mg in Jan 2015 when my 22 month old grandson was diagnosed with cancer. He's now in remission and doing well. I went to Dr last year and said I felt ok to come off the tabs.but she said it was best for me to double the strength so I went up to 20mg. This was ok until my youngest daughter came home from uni and basically did nothing to get a job.or go anything in house to help. Dr increased to 30mg and I started taking that mid June.

Approx 3 weeks ago our lives changed. Before I met my hubby who I have been with 30 years , he had a daughter who had not seen since she was a couple of months old as her mum's family asked his family not to be part of her life. She's now been in touch and we've met. I always knew about it but it was never talked about and our 2 kids are 20 and 23 and never knew until 2 weeks ago. They're being great about it. I've had a chest infection and have kept thinking about what might have been for my hubby if he had stayed with the mum and it's getting me down. I saw Dr for a note and she increased dose yo 40mg. I've basically gone from 20 to 40 in 2 months and it's awful. I cry when i least expect it and cant seem to function. My.hubby thinks I'm not happy with the situation but I am as it's happened at right time. I've told his daughter how the tabs are making me feel and think it's all gone wrong now. I don't think I can cope any longer on 40mg.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear how things are going i recently went through problems and the doc upted my dose from 20mg to 30mg and after a couple of weeks i couldnt cope with the side effects i managed for a month and then had to go back to my old dose it was making me suicidal unhappy everything  i think your doctor isnt doing the right thing at all uping your dose so much in such a short time it can be very dangerous to do that i suggest coming down to 20mg and seeing a different doctor sooner rather than later i hope this helps somewhat

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey there Tucbiscuit. Reach out to a lady named Katecogs and bring up your issue with her. She knows this med like no other I have seen on this site. Personally I think you went up in dosage too fast but Miss Kate will be able to explain it to you better. She sure has helped a lot of people who are on Cit. Good luck and dont give up. It just takes time!!!!!'n

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its a long and complex process when you go up a dose. I went from 10 - 20 in two weeks. Then after three months on that I upped to 30 and felt like I was starting from day 1 again. I had suicidal thoughts, I was depressed I felt unable to cope with anything. Its taken me months of adjustment and I spent almost everyday lamenting the drugs and lamenting that I suffer from this stuff in the first place and then slowly without my notice that all sort of faded away. It does take months though.. in the last month I have experienced the death of two close relatives and have coped with it in a way i never thought possible. I am not happier than i've ever been eveyrhting isn't perfect, i'm not finished my journey but i feel like i can hope. I feel like I know how to plan to take the steps to get my life back on track. It seems small but to me thats huge. It has taken me 8 months to get to this point - and im sure it will continue to go up and down but you need to give yourself time and understand how big a change you're going through. Despite the fact you're now taking drugs that affect your whole body you also have to relearn how to live without anxiety, which in itself can cause anxiety. I think the best advice you can have is see a therapist ongoing - dont just ask your doctor for more drugs - theyre are not invested like a therapist would be. And keep a diary - in a fortnight you might feel terrible and then look back and realise how a few small things may have actually improved in that time too. It helps.

Good luck - I struggled with my partner as he constantly thought if i wasnt happy it was on him - because he couldnt make me happy. I recently started taking him to my therapist and its changed everything.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up