Citalopram Intrusive Thoughts need a little support

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on my 30th day (4th week ) of taking Citalopram at 30mg. quick background I was taking 25mg pretty inconsistently (i know it wasn't my smartest decision) and I had a relapse. I've started to take my medicine for the previous 4 weeks every night at 10pm.

I"m honestly starting to feel better. I do feel happier. My morning anxiety isn't as bad. The physical symptoms have definitely calmed down. But these intrusive/ obsessive thoughts are what causing me the biggest issue. This is my third go around with Citalopram, but I just feel like i'll never stop thinking the way i'm thinknig now. Does anyone know how long it took them to recover from the thoughts? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was the same as you with intrusive thoughts, at times I thought I was going mad. I came across a post that suggested a book about anxiety. Ever since I’ve read this book I’ve learnt to let my thoughts be there and let them leave in their own time. Before I was fighting a battle constantly trying to shove these to the back of my mind yet they would reappear and that is our brains nsturak function. Only advice I can give is let your thoughts be there and they will leave instead of trying to force them to go, just ride them out. I no longer have any intrusive thoughts and I am on week 5 now. Good luck xx
    • Posted

Thanks Nicky. did you have thoughts that would literally scare you? 
  • Posted

Yeah my mind would literally not shut off And I honestly thought I was going crazy. I would fixate on certain words and would think non stop for a day or two on that subject. I literally lost all hope and then this book taught me how to cope with them. Why don’t you ask your doctor if you can attend a CBT course. X
    • Posted

What was the name of the book if you don't mind me asking? 

• Posted

glad it is working for you now,to recover from the thoughts will last a little bit longer yet,just make sure you take your medication daily and not miss any days 
  • Posted

Stop Thinking Start Living by Richard Carlson I found helpful and still dip into it on a regular basis 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.