Citalopram.....is it working?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been taking for just under a week....the first few days felt sicky and dizzy (but managable)- apart from this during the day [b:58679b1c6a]I felt fantastic[/b:58679b1c6a]. Not worrying about the things I used to, not snapping and taking control of my temper.

It was hard to go back to sleep when my baby daughter woke in the early hours, she would settle but id then be awake for hours!

The side affects are now almost gone (a bit dizzy 30mins after taking) but i'm starting to worry again, with outbursts of frustration (at myself) when my daughters being awkward....genrally feeling like things are getting on top of me again.

Im taking 20mg....and have been told to give it two weeks. Should it be more? Im so confused....am I just hoping for a wonder drug that doesnt exsist?

Genrally I do feel a little better, I am nicer to my partner and can enjoy almost all things I do day to day with my baby.

I guess I need to fix the things in my life, which a drug cant do.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Louise,

It can take up to two weeks for the citalopram to properly kick in to your system so just try and hold out for the moment, i've been on them now for just over a year and they do take the edge of all that stuff but you should still be able to feel frustrated, angry, upset etc.. but hopefully with these they wont completely control you anymore, so don't worry too much about all that stuff.

As i said it can take a little while and you hopefully should start feeling better a little everyday, if it still is happening after 3 or so weeks you may need to go back to your doctor as these particular tablets may not be working for you but they do have loads of alternatives.

Hope that helps smile

• Posted

I would suggest sticking with it. Your experience sounds very much like mine.

I was started on 10mg for the first 2 weeks. For nearly the first week I felt great and like my old self. The only side-effects were feeling very slightly sick and a bit of a headache. I also found it very hard to sleep (even with drugs from my GP), but generally felt pretty good. Then, on about day 8 I began to get really bad anxiety, worse than I had for a long time, which lasted for a couple of days.

But by day 10 I was feeling really good again. My dose has been upped to 20mg now and I'm now 2 1/2 weeks in and feeling like a normal person and have my old enthusiasm for life back. I'm sleeping much better now, in fact I'm feeling tired most of the time. But compared to feeling anxious all day, it's something I can cope with. I hope I continue like this!

• Posted

thankyou for your replys.....its really great to speak to people about this

ill stick with, and let you know how I go.

THANKYOU.

• Posted

I'm on day 18 and still not feeling any different - I'm not due back at the doctors for another 12 days so I'll keep going until then and discuss it with her. Fot the last 7 days I keep waking up expecting to feel different but nothing so I'm starting to get a bit disallusioned with them but I'll keep going.
  • Posted

hi poppy1234, could you post what happens when you go to the doc?.....as i'm sticking with Citalopram (but I possiably think i'll need to try a differant type). Are you having any side affects? I keep checking in here, so if you every need someone to discuss any thing with....take care hun! x
  • Posted

Hi Louise today I actually had about a 20 minute spell of feeling very energetic and happy it was quite bizzare don't know if thats what it's like to feel normal as i've been struggling with depression for about 9 years and can't remember what it feels like to feel normal, afterwards I had very sweaty palms and was quite shakey and felt completly wiped out. As for side effects i've felt more tired than normal but thats about it apart from the first few days I kept getting twitches about 20 minutes after taking the tablet and increased headaches but I haven't had a bad headache for about a week now.
  • Posted

Hi Louise

Been back the doctors today she's told me to give it another 2 weeks and then if I'm still feeling the same we'll up the dose (currently on 20mg) or try another type of tablets.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up