citalopram - just looking for support and reassurance please,

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all hope your all doing ok.

Iv been on 10mg of citalopram for 5 weeks doctor wanted me up to 20mg so I halfed one and went just over a week on 15mg (no side effects) then Iv been 3 nights at 20mg and today I feel quite anxious and like I'm not coping well feeling scared, tired ect, please tell me this is just a change of dosage, and will settle down,

I had a good run of about a week of managing and seeing small changes, but not enough and because 10mg is such a low dose my doctor wanted me on 20mg

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon, Iv probably repeated myself before, just scared I get worse again 😔

Wendy

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes, generally your GP will introduce you to a low dose of 10mg then increase upwards to 20mg. This is normal proceedure as it reduces side effects.

Give the additional dose a further three or four weeks and remember to take the medication as prescribed. You will suffer the above side effects until you become used to the drug.

Try taking your medication a half hour before bed, with a possible small amount of milk. This will act as a sleeping tablet and will prevent tirdness during the day. If you take the tablet in the morning it may increase your tiredness throughout the day.

This medication in my eyes helps me get through depression and I have been on the drug for about ten years or so

We are here for a chat

B.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aww thank you for your replie and advice, when I went on at 10mg I suffered horrendous side effects, but pushed through them, when I went to 15mg didn't suffer too much, was on 15mg for just over a week, went onto 20mg for last 3 nights, and feeling anxious and agitated also feel like she nothing bad is going to happen, is this just side effects of the upped dose? ?

Wendy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes be patient 

The medication needs time to get well into your Body, when the drug is set at that level you will feel a great deal better.

You can of course talk to your GP regarding your medication if you become unsettled. You need to understand a replaement medication will need to take the same time scale to work. So just give it time

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Wendy, I use to take 20mg felt well them reduced to 10 and recently went back to 20.  The side effects are awful too.  I feel very shaky, edgy etc.  I hope the new Dose kicks in quickly for us both.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just went from 20 to 30 yesterday, I split it up so I still took my original 20 at about 330 pm but I wanted too make sure if I had side effects they would happen after work atleast the first week so I take my last 10 at about 630 or 7 last night bring my first dose of 30 I got super sleepy but other wise ok but goin to 20 in the first place I had 3 days of over all panic and being anxious also had flu like symptoms, I had to go to 30 cause my head pressure and headaches and anxious/panic started creeping back also very jittery hopefully the increase is the answer for us increasing stay positive and strong try and keep your mind busy the best you can
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aww I hope it goes better for you doing it that way, as side effects can be awful,

They must be the same for everyone as I was the same as you, had bad side effects but 3 days were horrendous, I'm on 4th day at 20mg and not feeling as bad as yesterday, thank goodness 😅

How are you today? Hope you are well thank you for your kind words

Wendy x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started on 5mg four years ago and now I'm on 40mg. Ask for propranolol for your anxiety and keep them at hand and you can take one when you feel anxiety coming. As soon as you learn to control it- which you can come off the beta-blocker.

Personally I think citalopram is s**t & I've been begging my dr since May to change my meds.

It's all trial and error BUT get registered for counselling, CPN etc... no one should stay on anti-depressants forever as it can make it worse. I'm enrolled for CBT and so far so good.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I also take mine before bed, this stops (for me) any side effects as I'm asleep!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up