Citalopram less than 1 in 100 experience cheerfulness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just read the package leaflet & notice that an uncommon (less than 1 in 100) side effect is a state of optimism, cheerfulness & well being. Erm.... isnt that the aim of the medication?

Or maybe i am searching for a euphoric state which just isnt going to happen with this medication?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im just lookin gfor this sarahfacinguptothings....owe i cant find it...but found this...\"It is sensibleto yaking alcohol after treatment\":roll: :lol: whoops-\"It is sensible to AVOID taking alcohol whilst receiving treatment\" Whoops must be hallucinating again :idea:
  • Posted

I think what it might mean is a kind of over-confidence which can lead someone to do things they wouldn't normally contemplate. The sort of thing that too much alcohol induces. It's something I haven't experienced on citalopram but I definitely did with seroxat. There were a few times I thought I could fly. This is different to the effect the drug is meant to produce and so I suppose it counts as a side-effect.
  • Posted

I've been taking Citalopram since 17/03/2010. Started out on 10 mg for the first seven days and then increased to 20 mg thereafter. After about four weeks (and little by way of side effects - just queasiness if taken on an empty stomach) I started to feel \"normal\" for the first time in months. By normal, I mean I felt like me only a better balanced me.

Unfortunately, I have had my dosage increased to 30 mg today. Have felt the depression building all week - no obvious trigger - and then this morning, could not stop sobbing for two solid hours. Managed to get an appointment with the doc - hence the increased dosage.

Prior to Citalopram, I took Mirtazapine for three months. It did not agree with me. I slept for England and struggled to get out of bed in a morning. I also felt very detached from reality and could not concentrate or make a judgement about anything which is no good at work!!

I'm glad that I have found something that suits me, but will have to wait and see how 30 mg affects me for better or worse.

Although I don't have many posts under my belt on this forum, I have been a regular reader and have felt enormously reassured by other people's experiences of depression.

I would also highly recommend counselling too.

• Posted

Hey, good to head your experiences.

I am nearly 5 weeks in now and feel no different? Its a shame as I just thought I was short or seritonin, but maybe its something else.

Thinking of going back to docs in about a week or 2 as then surely they would have had time to kick in?

I did have side effects of no concentration for about 4 weeks but that seems to have passed now which is good. also started taking them in evening as they were making me to very sleepy.

I have come out in a load of acne, i have acne anyway but its really come out with avengance, & have had a cold/chesty cough this last week, and i NEVER usually get ill! so i wonder if its the pills weakening the immune system?

But in terms of benefits i have felt nothing at all. Its such a shame. Part of me wants a euphoric feeling just to feel better for abit even if its artficial. Just want some optimism/enthusiasm! can a pill do this? or just flatten your mood so u dont cry as much but still feel parp.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.