Citalopram making me feel awful

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently started taking Citalopram 20mg after my anxiety getting so back i became depressed too. Im currently on day 2, so far everything i drink and eat comes back up. I am constantly sweaty and over heated. I feel awful but i cant describe how ? almost like a stomach feeling but around my whole body too. I know Citalopram is known for side effects so i just wanted to post here incase any of mine were irregular. I am going to keep taking it despite it making me feel like this because i need to get better. Can anyone suggest anything i can do to make this time abit easier for me? All answers are massively appreciated 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony

That is normal feelings i am on week 4 and there is a significant improvement try listening to anxiety apps etc it helped me a lot

• Posted

Thank you sooo much, Like i say im going to stick it out i just wanted to make sure none of my symptoms were irregular. Thanks 
  • Posted

i think you are suffering with panic attacks,so take less breaths and breath in and out slowly ,that will stop your panic attacks,and regarding citrolopram,you will get some side effects for 6/8 weeks.
  • Posted

I believe you are suffering from the bad side effects.  I upped my dosage recently, and I suffered from the side effects for mostly the first 2 weeks.  I would get really bad nausea and almost threw up a couple of times.  Just putting the pill on my tongue would trigger my gag reflex.

Increased anxiety is also a side effect along with shakiness.  The feeling sweaty might be down to also your increased anxiety - I sweat a lot when I'm suffering from bad anxiety/panic attacks.

It sucks, but I believe every day you continue will be another day closer to the side effects starting to fade. 

• Posted

Anthony,  I’m on Day 27 I0 mg. I had the sweats and my legs were shaking.  I know exactly how awlful you feel. Stay with it. You will get better. You definitely are having panic attacks. I feel I the citalopram exacerbated the panic attacks in the beginning. They will dissipate. Get the meditation utube with Rebekah Borucki. Do the breathing it will help incredibly. Practice it. I would wear my headphones to bed put her on and fall asleep. I still get the sweats very mild under my arms and feet some times. I also get the jitters mildly. Nothing like I was getting. Get a benzo from your Dr to help you through this. Are you sleeping? I had 2 weeks of not sleeping. I wish I had asked my dr sooner for a sleeping aid. Keep me posted of how you are doing.  Will😎

• Posted

Anthony, try to go for a walk. Put headphones on listen to your favorite music and look at nature. Try to walk 20 min to start. 
  • Posted

I've just came back on them..had a massive anxiety attack and first 3 days of starting them were horrendous..no sleep at all..plenty of suicidal thoughts..feeling really low depressed even,no apitite..dry mouth.But now on day 5 and feel really good happy even,ready for a well earned rest tonight.Ps I had x2 zopiclone on a night time too didn't touch the sides really but made the night seem to go a bit quicker..as got about 3 hours kip each night .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.