Citalopram making my period late

Posted , 2 users are following.

hey everyone,

I've been taking Citalopram for 2 weeks now.

10mg for the first week and then up to 20mg for the second week. I've now noticed my period is 4 days late. I am not pregnant and I have taken multiple tests which have all come back negative.

Just wondering if anyone else have had their periods become late since staring the drug.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My periods have been affected by different medications I have taken in the past. I think anything that is new to your system can have on effect on your menstrual cycle. SSRIs can affect insulin which is a hormone that can alter your periods. I am insulin resistant and as a result I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and my periods have been very irregular over the years.

A word of advice try and avoid alcohol and sugar as much as you can on SSRIs because you can put on a lot of weight very quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.