Citalopram Need help. Stay on or come off

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi Been on 10mg now 20mg of citalopram for 3 weeks now and I am getting so depressed I was only put on these meds for anxiety just don't know what to do stay on them or come off . My doctor is away now for two weeks. I am also losing some much weight can't eat. Help needed please.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I was also on 10 mg for 2 weeks and moved to 20 mg almost a week ago. I am feeling worse with more anxiety and my bp is still running high which is also the reason I was put on it for anxiety and elevated BP could also use some help!

• Posted

I think just not knowing what tomorrow brings make us feels worse. I hope u get some good advice
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, these meds take a while to kick in, the side effects are horrible I know, heightened anxiety, depression, panic feelings, feeling of fear of your future, I could go on as I had all these and more, you just like Rob need to give it more time to work, these meds work different for alot of people, but they do work trust me, I was where you are now and I nearly give up the meds, one day it came over me, a feeling of relief and I could look forward to things again, it will happen to you just give it time, Chris x
  • Posted

I was on 10mg for 6 weeks, my doctor said it was a starting dose to minimise side effects before going to 20mg, I see you've jumped up to 20 way too soon my friend, the side effects will be worse if this happens, give the 20 more time they've still got alot to give you, and it's still early days yet, I felt alot better after 4 weeks on 10mg, when I went on 20mg even better, I had all the same side effects but nowhere near as bad, I stayed on 20mg for 3 months and felt good slightly anxious so upped to 30mg now got my life back, these meds are really slow working you must give it time, stay on them for at least another 4 weeks but I think you'll probably feel better in 2 weeks, there's alot of people on this forum to seek advice off, Keep it up x

• Posted

Did u get any depression? That's what killing me I was only put on the meds for anxiety. This depression is really dragging me down. Thank for replying

• Posted

Yes really bad depression a feeling of low and a strong fear feeling, I went on citalopram only for health anxiety, I was just unlucky to get alot of side effects, face twitching, titanus, strange eye sensations, sore scalp when I touched it, depression, high anxiety, high depression, big panic attacks, etc, the depression will go in time just persevere my friend, in time you will feel alot better, I know it's easier said than done. Chris

• Posted

I think that was the answer I was looking for. It's not just me then cheers. Hopefully I can rest a bit easier tonight. Thank again

• Posted

Hi 

Feeling the same how you do. I have been taking citalopram for 17 days now. No improvements.  My anxiety is sky high. I am depressed too. Can't eat either. I am so scared of future right now.  Lx

• Posted

Hi. Looks like we are in the same boat. Time seems to go so slow now I am on these meds just want to to jump to the future to see how I am feeling then. For me my anxiety has heightened but it's the depression is what getting me down. I don't see my doctor for another 2 weeks this feels so far away.

Rob

• Posted

Hi. I have seen a psichiatrist today. He told me to take 40mg that 20mg won't do too much.

I'm anxious 24/ 7 and so depressed. 

I push myself to do every little task.

I begged my doctors to give me some meds to relief the anxiety until these meds start to work. No one will. What's wrong with them? They don't know how we feel. Lx

• Posted

I know hours seems weeks...weeks seems months. I just want somebody to understand me and help me. So disappointed.  Seeing all these dr, doing cbt. Trying to help myself but no matter how hard I try, I can not find relief, exhausted, scared about the future. Want my life back.
    • Posted

I have a horrible feeling my doctor going to up my meds. I can't handle the ones I am on now. They haven't got a clue how we really feel. But they must have seen so many people go through it.hopefully it will all work out

• Posted

I've seen the psichiatrist today he told me to double the dose....I was more than 2 weeks on 20mg.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up