Citalopram not working for me anymore?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

I was on 10mgs for three years, came off four months ago, idiotically, back on just over 3 months ago but anxiety symptoms as bad as ever.

I take it at 2pm, feel good for a couple of hours and then crash.

Should I slowly wean off now or wait longer?. They seem to be making my anxiety worse. Don't know what to do for the best. Sleepless nights, nightmares, headaches, lightheadedness, brain zaps etc etc.

Thanks for reading.😥

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pattie

How long have you been back on them can I ask? Maybe needs a bit more time to settle? 

• Posted

Hi Sherri,

About 10-12 weeks I think. I thought they would have started to work by now but I have heard people here say it can take longer second time.

Thank you for replying.

• Posted

Stay the course ..me personally I wouldn't have ruin a good thing..

• Posted

Hi Louse,

Yes you are right, I shouldn't have come off them.

Thank you for replying.

• Posted

Apologies Lois for spelling your name wrong. I think it's predicted text. Every time I type in citalopram, I have to check because the name Cotswolds come up.

• Posted

Keep going, try talking to the doc’s about upping the dose 
    • Posted

Hi

I did think of that but 10mgs used to be so good for me. I'm also afraid of more side effects.

Thank you for your post.

• Posted

This will not apply to everyone, and its just my take on anti depressants. Cit is a once a day tablet, thats supposed to last 24 hours, but in practice, anwhere between 16 and 22 hours. Does the fact you have depleted levels on cit in you during the morning, until 2.00pm, make a difference? Ive always taken anti depressants first thing in the morning, then feel better in afternoon and evening. Is it worth trying to take it earlier?
    • Posted

Your right Nigel..I switched mine to mornings and what a good difference that made..
    • Posted

Hi Nigel

Just got back from a horrible traffic jam, hasn't helped at all, I wasn't driving otherwise I'd still be there parked up in a lay by.

I used to take citalopram at 5pm but switched to 2pm because of the nightmares.

If I start taking them in the morning say 8am, is this going to make any difference with side effects, I mean getting used to a new time?

It's a great suggestion and has given me a bit of hope.

Thank you so much.

• Posted

I am going to give that a try, it's given me some hope. Did you have any affects for switching?

Thank you.

• Posted

It is going to make a small difference in how you are feeling ..plus you will sleep better because at times the meds give insomnia .for me it made an inprovement in my sleep.i no longer jolt awake like I use to from the switching to mornings..
    • Posted

That's given me a lot of hope, thank you.

The nightmare I had the night before last was like nothing I ever experienced before. I was afraid to go to sleep last night, the images were vivid in my mind. Really affected me.

I have been getting insomnia too, didn't realize it was the med. Can't remember being like this before.

Best wishes to you and everyone else.

• Posted

Hi everyone

I took my citalopram at 11am today instead of 2pm and so far so good. I would have taken it earlier but I didn't feel like eating until then. Tomorrow I'm taking it at 9am.

I've still had a bit of lightheadedness and headache but I felt better after taking painkillers.

Overall, I feel as if I've had a better day today.

I slept good last night, I think it was the thought of trying something new today and being hopeful.

Thank you all so much for your excellent advice and support........🍷cheers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.