Citalopram . Please say there is light at the end of this black hole

Posted , 11 users are following.

im 2 weeks and 1 day into 20mgs of citalopram. been awful the worst 2 weeks of my life . i felt ok a couple of days but the last 2 days have been so low and emotional . anyone put there offering any advice or can be my citalopram buddy till recovery starts happening .

xx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Nicola, 20mg seems a high dose to start with, I personally would if started with 5 mg?

Report Reply
    • Posted

hello mike .

well i was on citalopram 30mg about 8 momths ago for nearly 2 years amd never had any side effects but somce going back on it they did say start at 10mg but if i wanted to achieve my end goal quicker 20 would be fine . the problem is i felt gud so came off them to now realise the reason i felt gud was the tablets . amd now im feelimg like i will never get better as im now havim frequent anxiety attacks which ive never had . im so scared every day is hell .

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi again Nicola, yeh taking cits,unfortunately means making some difficult decisions, I myself was starting to feel a bit 'robotic' , so decided to half my dose,It was tricky,but starting to feel like my old self again lately , maybe you should try taking 10's for a couple of weeks, It's certainly not a drug that can be rushed,without consequencies . Keep In touch, that certainly helps!

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi may i ask why these anxiety attacks occur i used to have them every second of the day trust me! my throat used to close up felt like i had something stuck in my throat that i could not swallow then id lose my breath, constant worrier. hospital trips daily, could not drive my car.

do not stress, these things go but dont stress that make it worse

do guided meditation morning and night just focus on the video.

eat healthy, dont drink too much caffeine

go for nice walks

im only 25 had it 3 years it going now

i got robbed in my house by 3 boys with knifes so had a trauma

good luck stay strong

Report Reply
    • Posted

oh god that must of been awful for u !!! see my life has had nothing like that happen . i feel like my body just gave up one day and said enuf is enuf . i work for my self have 2 young kids . and try to be organised and the best mum and wife i can be but i just think i alway worry about everything being perfect and my body is telling me its not achievable ! thanks for the reply

Report Reply
    • Posted

hello. i know it feels like hell and yes i have had the shakes , feelimg cold amd then havin hot sweats. my legs were weak felt like i couldnt hold myslef up , blurred vision. lucky apart from headaches those symptoms went afyer about 10 very long very bad days !!!!! like i was dying my mum looked after my children whilst i either slept or cried or kept conviencing myself to shoot myself so the pain would stop . i have lost a stone in 2 weeks and i still have a really small appetite . and i can out eat any man so is very strange . the mornings now are my main worry the anxiety attacks as soon as i open my eyes. luckily i just grab a valium and have been tellimg myself enuf is enuf and i have to get on to save myself amd my family . i drove to work the other morning woth my music full blast feelimg like death amd i just screamed as loud as i could in my car noone cud here me but i just wanted to realease my endorphines in my brain amd get motivated . it did help a bit and i kept slogging thro telling myslef to take each day and do it for my family . that is my only advice to get thro . i have so much to love for and getting ur head motivated does help even when it feels hopeless xxx im here to chat and get thro this with you xx

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hey Nicola

I've read a few things about going back on them being harder second time round.

All I can say is hang in there as it gets much better.

I've been through all the same pain and worry everyday never thinking ill be OK again but you will get there I promise.

You're strong and will make it through this rough patch. Keep your mind occupied and know you'll find peace soon. Day by day you'll get a little bit better xxx

Be kind to yourself 😃

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Nicola-even though you were at one time on 30mgs for 2 years , you did stop at that point and now started at 20 mgs,whether you want to speed up your success ,i would still advise you too start at 10 mgs for 6/8 weeks and then ,if you feel ready go onto 20mgs..

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi nicola i started on 10mg at first but the dose was not enough for me as i suffer depression & anxiety so i am on 20mg,I have never felt better & had no side effects, i never wanted to stop taking the tablets in case i went back to how i was..my doctor said it was ok to stay on them so i have, I hope you feel better soon & can get it all sorted out..Good luck xx

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi. i was on citalopram quite a few years ago, came off them and i am now on them. Please let them work they do take about 6 to 8 weeks. I started on 20mg and was fine but you will have up and down days, you just have to ride them out. It does get better.

Report Reply
    • Posted

every day feels like a week. i have a 5 and 6 year old amd a husband but i feel like im robbing them of the time aswell . im trying so hard to be brave and play and be happy . but my body just wont let me . i hope the fog starts to lift a little soon as all i want to do is lay in bed amd wake up when im better. i work for myself as a cleaner and no work no pay . !!! so am struggling thro the days . god this is so hard . i felt i had a gud week last week now im s**t again xxx

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up