citalopram questions asap please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am 25 years old I suffer from severe anxiety out of the blue one day and now I cannot fuction throughout the day. I recently started 10mg of citalopram. I noticed a difference after the very first pill even though I keep getting told it takes at least 2 weeks. I am on day 7 they seems to help take the edge off during the day but I still have the anxiety all day until roughly 7 - 10pm it's like all at once I feel completely like myself and no sign of anxiety at all. But when I go to sleep and wake up it at starts all over I have anxiety again all day. I even get random bursts of of panic attacks. I'm so confused on when this will finally work and why it only makes me feel good at night. I take the pill rite before I go to bed at 9pm. Please anyone know what I'm going through???

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Scott

This is normal during recovery.  It often takes months to start feeling better, not weeks, but feeling good this early on does happen.

Often people get worse before they get better - but that's often the side effects which do wear off.

If your doctor says you'll feel better in 2-4 weeks, count that as 2-4 months.

Recovery often comes in patches - feeling good for an hour maybe, ill again the next day, and so it will increase over time - feeling good for a few days, then ill for a few days, then well for weeks or months maybe followed by feeling ill for a few days or so.  As time goes by, feeling well will last longer and get stronger, whilst feeling ill will get less.  Don't be too surprised though if you're suddenly hit by a really bad period out of the blue.  It can happen.  But, all the time this is happening you're recovering, and some day you won't feel ill anymore.  This can take months and months ...... but don't worry, you will get there.  Just keep persevering.

People often mistake this up and down period as their medication not working and either stop it or up the dose.  Your meds are working, and this is a normal routine.

I experienced exactly what you are - I'd feel well at night only to feel dreadful and full of anxiety the next morning.  Morning anxiety was the last thing to disappear for me.

So ... yes it's all perfectly normal.  Just keep on.  It's a long road but so worth it.  The end result is great!

K

• Posted

Thank you so much for your fast response. I'm glad to hear this is normal. I just feel so weird like this is not me. I don't understand how how this has happened to me. When I start feeling better in the evening I feel like I can conquer anything and that the next day I can fight this anxiety but the next day when the anxiety hits I feel like I have no control and I'm losing my mind. I just want to be me again.
    • Posted

Hi Scott/Katecogs.

I have been on Cit 20mg for 6 weeks plus 2 days now. Like you Scott I'm a fun loving happy 32 year old woman with three children too look after. Anxiety hit me out the blue and completely knocked me for six mine came from when my grandfather passed away a few months ago I started to wonder about my own mortality and then every little twitch I felt I thought that I was gonna be really poorly or worse still, die, my friend encouraged me to go to the gp and she prescribed Cit. I was really worried about taking it. But I knew I had too as I need to be me again. I'm not gonna lie the side effects were horrendous and I still had to carry on like I'm ok, when I wasn't. I'm 6 weeks in and from then till now I'm so much better. I'm still suffering the side effects though, not many just feeling a little fuzzy/dizzy sometimes. I find that doing excercise helps. I want to be back to my old self and was under an illusion that this would be a quick fix cause it's not and its still tough. Just want to feel good. Thank you for Katecogs ur post was very helpful.

• Posted

Glad you found my post helpful 😄

I was was the same when I first encountered anxiety - absolutely floored me!  Glad to hear you're feeling better than you were - it is a long haul.  Alas a lot of doctors do seem to give patients the idea they'll be better in a matter of weeks - they should try taking it.

I recovered from years of illness on these meds and have been ever since.

Youll get there too xx

• Posted

Oops missed a bit ....... 'and have been WELL ever since' 😄

Surprising how one word can make a difference! lol

• Posted

How long did it take for you to finally feel back to your self, I went to the doctor last week as I felt so fed up with feeling down, he told me to hold on. Just want to wake up and be like yes I feel good for more then just one day at a time and then a hick up the next. I feel good in the evening, take my tablet in the evening.

Thanks for all your advise

Sam xx

• Posted

I've been on these melds twice and think it took longer second time.  First time I reckon it took 3-4 months, then after a break I restarted last August and was better by around February/March?  I didn't feel really ill all this time - the anxiety stopped but I felt flat for a couple of months before finally feeling back to normal again.

Taking these meds isn't compatible to maybe taking painkillers and feeling better in weeks, it's more like recovering from a broken leg which will take months and months.

You will wake up feeling good.  But it takes time.  The last thing to disappear for me was the early morning anxiety.  It's really difficult trying to be patient, as that's the last thing we want.  We just just to escape this intolerable feeling.

It will happen.  It happens so slowly you hardly notice it.  But it will get better and better.

K xx

• Posted

Meds not melds ??
    • Posted

Such an encouraging post Katecogs.I increased my dose today after 6 months on 10mg I am now up to 20mg. Just wanting to escape this intolerable feeling makes so much sense. Now I am waiting for the better and better. Samantha I relate so well to your story. Good luck and lets just hang in there.

Lee. 

• Posted

Hi Lee

It might have taken you longer as you're on a low dose, so hopefully upping your dose will give you that extra push.  I recovered on 20mg and after a few years reduced to 10mg and was an,e to maintain my wellness on that.  I'm now down to 5mg and still going well.

Everyone suits different doses, and of course different SSRI's too.  It's trial and error getting the correct dose and meds.

Reminding yourself that you're recovering from an illness helps.  So many people are led to believe they'll be better in a matter of weeks, so when things don't happen they either give up or get their meds increased too quickly making them feel really ill.

I was ill for 15 years (before SSRI's were about) and other ani depressants didn't help.  I was eventually put onto these meds and I recovered.  Have been well ever since! 😄

Keep going ..... you'll get there x

• Posted

Thank you so much Katycogs. I need the encouragement. I am so hoping the 20 mg does the trick because I am tired of feeling so off and demotivated. I should have upped it after a month but I was nervous and thought I was doing OK. Not ready to give up on this med, and so hoping the dose increase does the trick. Take care. Lee.
    • Posted

When I got better the second time around on 20mg, I remember spending months feeling nothing ...... flat, empty, not anxious and not happy - just a nothingness, and I kept sighing a lot.  It eventually passed.  So yes, maybe your feelings are prolonged as the meds are taking longer to reach their full extent compared to a larger dose.

No don't give up on the meds.  Exercise is helpful whilst you wait - it raises the endorphins making you feel better and burns excess anxiety.  And you get fitter! 😄

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your fast response. I'm glad to hear this is normal. I just feel so weird like this is not me. I don't understand how how this has happened to me. When I start feeling better in the evening I feel like I can conquer anything and that the next day I can fight this anxiety but the next day when the anxiety hits I feel like I have no control and I'm losing my mind. I just want to be me again.
  • Posted

Hi Scott

know what you are going through, on day 2 citalopram.  It may be an idea to take the tablet in the morning if it makes you feel better, you may get some benefit then.  

Keep your chin up.

K

• Posted

Poor you 😞 Katecogs is right, she gives totally the best advice xxx have you got any Diazapam? It'll take the edge off the awfulness for the next few weeks, it's helped me immensely and I barely use it now (I'm on week 6 today) xxx good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.