citalopram questions asap please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am 25 years old I suffer from severe anxiety out of the blue one day and now I cannot fuction throughout the day. I recently started 10mg of citalopram. I noticed a difference after the very first pill even though I keep getting told it takes at least 2 weeks. I am on day 7 they seems to help take the edge off during the day but I still have the anxiety all day until roughly 7 - 10pm it's like all at once I feel completely like myself and no sign of anxiety at all. But when I go to sleep and wake up it at starts all over I have anxiety again all day. I even get random bursts of of panic attacks. I'm so confused on when this will finally work and why it only makes me feel good at night. I take the pill rite before I go to bed at 9pm. Please anyone know what I'm going through???

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think u need to go back to your GP and increase your dose, bcz 10 mg is not much, l am happy its working a bit, it does work believe me, it worked for me.
    • Posted

I thought I needed to wait before increasing the dose to let the medication work its way into my system and see if it works? I'm still very early in the medication only 8 pills in now. Is it too soon to tell?
    • Posted

I increased mine after a week to 20mg and it helped me, also felt better after 4 days taking them, 10 mg is not a lot, but we all differ.
    • Posted

Yea my problem is I feel really good and normal but not until the pm. During the day it it's very hard for me. I keep getting told that it's going to take a long time for me to get back to me again.
  • Posted

Well I have a doctor's appointment today I will talk to her and see what she says. I take the pill at night to avoid all the side affects. I was taking it in the am and it really screwed me up. I guess this is a waiting game. I'll have to take it day by day. I need to get back to work I have been out for 2 weeks. This has deeply affected my life.
    • Posted

Your thoughts were exactly mine when I was ill.  I felt weird and also couldn't understand how I'd got myself into such a situation.

There is no quick fix.  You can't rush these meds and increasing your dose won't make it happen any quicker unfortunately.  Everyone needs a different dose, but you need to give the dose you're on time before you can decide if you need to increase.  Increasing also gives you side effects again.

You can't avoid side effects either, no matter when you take your meds.  The only answer is time ...... take your meds regularly and just waiting for the healing process.

You will get over this.  Just remind yourself you have an illness, you're doing the right things, and time will be a healer.

Seems you're feeling the start of healing already with patches of feeling normal.  Just carry on - you will get better.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your support your answers seem to make tons of sense. Do you think I should try to get myself back in my old routine? Do you think this.would help any? I have to get back to work I can no longer afford to take time off and I definitely need to if I want to provide a Christmas for my family.
    • Posted

When I was recovering on these meds, I just carried on with life (the best I could) and yes, kept my routine going, even though the enthusiasm wasn't there.  Keeping everything as normal as you can is best.  Over time I suddenly noticed I hadn't thought of 'it' for a while and had been feeling normal.  The next I'd wake with dreadful morning anxiety again, but as the day wore on I had short periods of feeling good.  Didn't happen every day, but it increased over time.

Exercise is good too - it helps burn excess anxiety and raises the endorphins helping to make you feel better.

It can be tough trying to carry on as normal, and I often had tears of exasperation.  I found being with people helped, and though a struggle to go to work, it did help.

Could you have a word with someone at work?  You wouldn't be expected to carry on with normal duties if you had any other illness.

You will get better - but let recovery come to you in its own time.  You can't rush it.

K x 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.