Citalopram re-user - advice needed please☺

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everybody and thank you for reading.

I am a bit confused about my symptoms and hoping for some reassurance please.

I was on Citalopram 10mgs starting about 3 years ago after a health scare. They worked to the point where I didn't think I needed them anymore so I decided to reduce and finally stop taking them. That was about 4 months ago but after being completely off them for a fortnight I went back on them, couldn't take the withdrawal symptoms. Since then I have been getting symptoms that I cannot remember having before such as:

anxiety most of the day

headaches

confusion

tiredness

sensitive to noise and heat

palpitations

giddiness but not vertigo

drunk feelings in head but I don't drink

panicky, don't like hanging around places too long

irritable

sometimes feel like passing but but I never do

I'm sure I could think of more. I had results of blood works Friday and they were fine.

Has anyone else felt this way after stopping and starting citalopram?

I'm back on 10mgs, should I increase my dose?

Thanks for any replies.?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pattie all of the symptoms you are having sound like normal side effects from the cit. I suffered from nausea heightened anxiety and struggled to sleep and generally felt weird most of the time. I've been taking the meds for 4 weeks. I know it's scarry sometimes with the side affects but it's normal. Hang in there and try not to worry. Paul.

• Posted

Thank you Paul for replying and for your reassurance.

It's amazing the power of these meds, not to be messed with that's for sure.

I feel weird most days, to come to think of it I can't remember when I last felt normal!!

Good luck with yours..... ?

• Posted

Thanks Pattie. Just get through the first 2 weeks and you will notice a difference . Good luck and let me know you get on. Paul

• Posted

Totally normal. I recently upped from 2.5 to 5mg, and the restart of side effects was worse than when I started them from scratch, two years ago! All of the above, as you have mentioned.

How many weeks since you restarted? I would personally stick it out where you are for quite a while. It seems to me, from reading around here, that when people restart, the side effects can seem a bit worse/ can take a bit longer to pass. I would personally give it a couple of months ie the 8 weeks they often talk about.

• Posted

Thanks Ruth.

I think it must be about 8-10 weeks now. I think the hot weather hasn't helped either.

Thanks for your reassurance?

• Posted

Hi all

I'm back and I still have anxiety and same symptoms. I had a terrible nightmare last night, the worse yet, don't know if it's down to the citalopram or anxiety.

They don't seem to be working for me any more. If I'm getting these symptoms on them surely it can't be worse if I weaned off them. I'm afraid to increase my dose for more symptoms.

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.