citalopram sickness spaced out clenching jaw? ? ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i am a newbie to citalopram, i took my first tab 20mg on sunday after about 1hour i felt extremely sick and lost my appetite. Took the next one on monday again felt sick but by the evening it had worn off abit. Tuesday felt totally spaced out and sick, wedensday woke up getting ready for work had to sick down for 10mins as i felt faint and.really sick eventually got to work . I work in a call centre and its really strict. Took my first call, well i was slurring my words totally spaced out and sick. I was then sick and have felt terrible ever since. I even had to stay home today. Which didnt go down well with my boss ! Im finding im staring into space and clenching my jaw. Spoke to my g yesterday she told me to stop taking them until i feel better then try half a tablet but told her with the job i do there is noway i can feel like this. She wanted to sign me off with stress/depression but i said there's no way i can do that as i will loose my job! Looks like i will have to feel down for the rest of my life :-(just dont no.what to do. Im also being tested next week for underactive thyroid.. has anyone had similar side affevts? ? How long does it take for these horrible side affects to wear off ? ? Thank-you aany advice will be grately appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I started on 20mgs and went through similar for the first two weeks. I felt totally drugged up. To be honest I had some side effects for the first 7/8 weeks but nowhere near as bad as thise couple of weeks at the start.

You may be better starting more gradually on 10mgs, ask your doctor about this. It will just give your body a chance to get used to the Cit.

I've been on cit for 8 months now, have no side effects, just the positives.

So understand that the side effects will pass.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. Had to go back to see my gp again today as this morning i had to leave work again, as i felt terrible and my heart was racing so fast. Gp told me to not take anymore until my thyroid results come back. Then we can discuss the next steps. I Wouldn't beable to deal with the side affects not only because of the way it makes me feel but also bevause of my job. These are some strong tablets
  • Posted

i agree with hope after youve got your results back for thyroid maybe try them out again but start with the 10mgs tabs thats what i started with i felt like crap for about 3 weeks not really dizzy and ill i just felt very down and like you mentioned my jaw was clenching and shakey like it does when your cold, after the 3 weeks i felt amazing didnt feel down at all this kept up for about 3 months then slowly wore off so i started taking the 20mgs but i started getting really really bad nightmares.. i no it sounds stupid but they were that bad i had to come off hte tablets i was waking up with sweat dripping off my face and in the morning my head was so clogged it messed up my whole day.. my head feels alot more clear now, to be honest i think it affects all people differently from what ive heard, maybe your the same as me just need to stick to the 10mgs hope your ok though i no what it feels like when you thought it would be the answer and it didnt work to well
  • Posted

Im going through the same i am 3 days in and i feel really weird. Sometimes its like im not here. I have had bouts of hyper too i am also jaw clenching. I think my problem and the reason for me feeling really dwn is tht i am bipolor type 2 it fits from every angle. Worth a look cos u might need mood stablizers to go wth citalopram. I am waiting for 1 week then going back to the doctor but im not going to come off these though, i will stick with it because with all the effects i am still better off!... hope ths helps
  • Posted

this day for and i do feel down like worse even i have started takeing it again. After slowly comeing of it but when i first tried it out i was fine i did not feel wired i started of on 10mgs then 20mgs and felt okay but now going back right back 20mgs feels little wired

• Posted

Hey,

I had similar side effects initially too, i took on 20mg tablet was sick 3 times, upset stomach, blurred vision, head fog, felt so drugged up i never tried another

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.