Citalopram side affects. Can't cope.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am only on my 4th day of taking citalopram after asking the doctor for it for constant low mood and anxiety. I just want to know how long it will be before I start to feel better. I'm even more anxious, tired than before and now I have headaches and dizziness also lack of concentration. I have to go to work tomorrow and am scared they will notice as I'm totally stressed because of this. I just need some reassurance. I'm on 20mg and am taking it before bed now as my first 2 days I took it during the day and it was really bad. Please help. Feel like giving up, can't stand the thought of 6 weeks 8 weeks before this stops.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm on week 7 now 20mg I take mine at night, first week or so wer bad after that I was improving iknow it can last longer, but stick with it it really does make a difference, iknow it's hard but you will get better good luck xx
  • Posted

I am on day 10 of 20mg citalopram and the headaches n dizziness will subside. I was exactly the same way as you. I was such a zombie with taking it in the morning that work was difficult so I also take mine before bed. That helps tremendous as long as u allow a good 7 hrs of sleep. I am thinking of speaking with my Dr. About stopping as well because I have been reading about it slowing metabolism, making you feel lazy, eating more, and causing weight gain.
    • Posted

where u read about that sad I'm afried of gaining weight also , but the DR told me gaining weight it's not something known about citalopram
    • Posted

Why not wait and c if happens b4 coming off? Cit wont make u lazy thats down to the person i actually lost weight taking it but i do know some people gsin but i think its abt adjusting ur life style rather than the med making u gain weight! Wat im saying if u keep ur activity levels up and dont eat enough for 2 then i think u should b cool! I certainly wouldnt stop it unless u have the side effects if its helping
  • Posted

I'm currently on day 16 of 10mg I've still got some side effects but not as bad, it does get better! I was like u dizzy and heightened anxiety but hopefully these are wearing off now let us know how u get on 😃
  • Posted

Please bear with it, the first 2 weeks on the meds were a nightmare for me but the side effects wore off within about 3 weeks. I'm doing really well now compared to how I was, life is slowly getting back to being good again. Don't stop taking the meds without speaking to your dr first as it can be really dangerous to just stop taking them. Take care, we've all been there, x
  • Posted

Thanks people..

Do you think I should take half a 20mg tablet (10mg) just so im not so bad I can't go to work? Then do that for a week or so? I just feel like they are too strong.

• Posted

You could try that. But then the side effects will still come eventually. I upped from 20-30 and it's taken 6wks for anxiety to go. that is usually the last thing to improve.
    • Posted

I started on 10 mg and tried to up to 20 mg they kicked my butt so i am now on 15 but ive been on them 3 yrs and still noticed a massive side effect on increase if u feel 10 will settle u in theres no probs with taking 10 then increasing lots do but just let ur doc know
    • Posted

I would, but you must speak to your doctor and let them know. SImilarly, they can always perscribe dizipam or anti sickness mediccation to ease side effects. Any worrying symptoms and you should call your doctor for a phone consultation, also pharmacists are really informative with this type of thing.

Keep your doctor in the loop with how you feel and what you want to do so they know

• Posted

Hey,

I was on citalopram 10mg for 3 years from the age of 18, from experience I was so depressed the side affects I had were nothing at the time. I couldnt eat, sleep, put weight on or even go to college at the time, but 3 weeks in I felt so much better. It changed my life and got me back on track, I was in so many bad places before I started on them that I stuck it out anyway cos I just didnt want to be here.

I come off 20mg (after upping the dose) and I felt fine, happy, and content with my life, till a few months down the line. Now i have bad anxiety through stressful life events and so forth, an I started back on 20mg, first day was awful, felt drowsy, went to sleep to wake in a panic. Everything was slowed down, my hearing was fuzzy an my vision blurred. I was sick 3 times an had a upset stomach, couldnt eat or sleep, very aggitated. So i didnt take another tablet from fear, my naxiety is crippling most days and taking the 20mg made me super sensitive to everything around me. However, the doc thinks i had a bug at the time hint the lst of side effects or symptoms. So im going to start either 10mg of citalopram again or 25mg of sertraline. Personally I think you have started at a lower dose, 10mg tablets or even halving 10mg ones for a week to slowly build it up. 

Once a few weeks have passed the sypmotms will go away and youll feel better, hand on heart I did the first time round, I just think my body is sensitive to drugs, im 22 an last time i was on an AD was 18 (starting them) so I guess my body isnt used to them being there

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks everyone. Took 10mg before bed last night. Im at work now. Still anxious however the side affects are not as severe. Think ill stay on 10 and let my gp know.
  • Posted

I took my first dose of 20mg citalapram last night. Today I have felt nauseous, & no appetite. I'm deciding if I want to bump down to 10mg or take the full 20. I'm wondering if taking it with food would help. Has anyone else had this problem?
    • Posted

Hi Jeanette,

I had the same issues with 20mg of citalopram too, couldnt eat, was being sick and felt awful on them so 10mg is a better option for the first intial weeks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.