citalopram side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just increased my dose to 20 mg 4 days ago and have been itching....this is under common side effects so please nobody scare me by saying im allergic come off it etc. I already have a fear of meds.

I would jst like to hear off people who have experienced it and reassurance that it goes.

Thanks to anybody that reads

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So many people have different affects from this med but seem to be very popular all I keep seeing is this med I'd like to hear some expierences on this to hope u have a good reaction as for rash I wouldnt mind that if it sorted out the other stuff but seriously just go with it and ask your doc if worried or gets worse it might go just till ur body gets used to it good luck let me know
    • Posted

Hi nick thans for the quick reply.

It is listed under common side effects so im hoping it will go. Just wondered how long it would last for! I have no rash, just itching.

I have other side effects too but its the same ones everybody else are talking about.

• Posted

I miss read it sorry scratch that comment lol no side affects differ to all and shame but have to try and if the side affects outweigh the problem then u need try something else so just trial and error shame but that's what we have deal with good luck
  • Posted

I'm itching like mad! It's driving me crazy, as soon as I scratch the itching spreads all over. I've put up with it for about a month now but going to the docs next week to see what he recommends because I can't stand it anymore rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi hohum.

Let me know how your appt with Dr goes. Im considering taking some piriton this morning.

What dose are you taking? I was taking 10 mg for 4 weeks and didnt have it then increased to 20 mg thats when the intense itching has started. Im also getting burning, tingly, prickling sensations! They are all under side effects so im trying not to panic too much!

• Posted

Same as you, I started on 10mg & as soon as I increased it to 20mg that's when the itching started. I've been on them about 2 months now, I was only on 10mg for about 2 weeks. I'm going to docs either mon or tue while I'm off work, I'm hoping he'll say it'll wear off in time, I don't really want to change tablets & start different side effects but I don't want to have to take something to stop the itching rolleyes I'll let you know how I get on!

Marie smile

• Posted

Hi

I've taken 20mg Citalopram for about 10 years and found initially I had different side effects different weeks (one seemed to replace the other etc) which all eventually wore off.  Everyone experiences different side effects, especially when first starting on meds or upping their doseage - it's usually your body getting to it.  

This medication has been my saviour and have been depression free for many years, enjoying life so much now.  Hopefully you can stick with it and the doseage works for you :-)

• Posted

......... that was meant to say 'your body getting used to it' :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.