Citalopram side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there I'm now day 4 of citalopram 20mg feels awful so panicky and anxious plus plus to the fact my horrible thoughts I had with depression are worse and exaggerated I have rang the gp and await his call haven't took the dose today yet! Don't think this is for me! 

Had that saved gp contacted and said could be side effect of drug or my anxiety rising because the low mood subsided!! He has recommended propranalol sr for the anxiety! Took my citalopram later than usual as was gona try it at night this afternoon not as bad but still lingering! I know early days but these side effects are awful!!

Thanks in advance 

Emz

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey 

I was taking cit for 4 days and I felt worse. So I decided to come off it and I feel bit better ( still feel abit light headed ) 

Good luck Hun 

X

• Posted

I do need something tho said I would try it a week and with CBT and the propranolol will see! Hope your well! 

Thanks 

Emz

• Posted

Day 4 is still very early. It's not uncommon for the side effects to last between 1-2 weeks, some may last longer for some. I had nausea, dizziness, sweating to begin with, but that has now subsided as my body becomes used to the med. Yours will too. Maybe your G.P. will lower your dose to 10mg to start with. I started on 10mg for a few days and was worried as I had to get up to 30mg. But the side effects weren't too bad overall. You will get over the side effects, so stick with it if you can. I'm still waiting for the good effects to kick in, but have been told by someone on here that it can take anywhere up to 2 months to get the full effect. Many people on here have said it's definitely worth the wait. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply jimmy didn't want to hack your post! Thanks for the reassurance I just don't like this exacerbation of symptoms!!! Just focusing on the better times of the day!! I was in uni today think I was anxious about that! Hopefully these lift after a week or so lol!

Thank you jimmy! 

Emz

• Posted

I'm sure they will settle down soon. Keep going if you can. If you're really worried then see your doctor, but I'm sure they'll go before you know it. 
    • Posted

I have so much support I'm so glad,thanks jimmy I do hope so!! 

Emz x

• Posted

Hi Emz3279 those are some of the sideeffects of the drug, try tto take the drug just before bed, l use to have the same symptoms, nightmares, anxiety, night sweats, but to be honest with you Citaloprom has changed me l am now a happy person no more depression, my mum and family have noticed the difference citaloprom ha sdone to me, l feel really good, tthe side effects will go away after sometime, goodluck
    • Posted

Thanks Richard I do hope so thanks for your reply! And well done you! 

Emz x

• Posted

Thanks l still cannot believe my night made of anxiety and depression is over,l use to be so anxious to even see my GP, now my GP is like a friend l always joke with him, l feel so good.l hope it works for me.
    • Posted

Well done Richard! At least the gp is friendly mine isn't as much but I get his mannerism!! He's stern! 

Emz

• Posted

Hi all.

I've used Citalopram many times. With my present episode I didn't feel too great on it so switched to another medication however when I've used it in the past it worked great. Took it 13 years ago after a mental breakdown. It did take a while for it to work for me,about 8 weeks on 40mg but the end result was more than worth it. I came out of that episode stronger and more able to cope than ever before. I was the worst case scenario at that time with depression/anxiety.

I remember it took a few weeks before I felt less desperate and slowly over the following weeks I coped better and better. 

I know the side effects can be horrendous and make you feel like they are taking you to a place that is a million times worse than the place you started but if you can hack it,it's worth sticking it out.

If they side effects are too bothersome then don't worry..there are plenty of other medications you can try xxx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian this afternoon iv been up and down so staying positive for the less anxious times managed to eat today which may have helped also! 

Thanks for your comments 

Emz x

• Posted

Awe chick. You will be ok. You are doing great by focusing on the times you feel ok. That is what will get you through xx
  • Posted

Hi Emz

You will get awful side effects for a couple of weeks, but they'll gradually ease off and you'll begin to feel the benefits of the medication.  It's so worth sticking it out, honestly.  It cured my anxiety and depression.  We've all gone through this initial period at the beginning of taking the medicine ..... but try and hang on and get through it.  It does get better. People will support you on this site.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks Kate

See I over think everything!!! Need to stop that!! Thanks for the support here's hoping to a good nights sleep! 

Emz x

• Posted

Don't worry, having anxiety makes your thoughts race and get weird.  It preys on your mind 24/7 and you always think the worst :-)  It's hard being optimistic when you're in the grip of all this nasty illness.

A doctor once told me that taking the pill in the morning helps with the sleep problem, as it keeps you alert during the day instead of at night.  I've always taken mine in the morning anyway so don't know if does affect anyone if taken at night.

Good luck with everything, and hope to hear your progress!

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.