Citalopram side effects

Posted , 12 users are following.

Happy new year everyone! I hope 2019 will be a happier and healthier year for all.

It's been a rubbish Christmas thus year with family illnesses, colds, flu, stomach bugs which resulted in cancelled reunions over the holidays. I myself had a migraine for four days starting boxing day.

So I've been on 10mgs cit for 5/6 weeks from 7.5 after some yoyoing for months before that.

Lately I'm getting a muzzy head feeling about two hours after taking it and light headed feeling. I can't remember feeling this before I started messing with my dose. Sometimes I feel as if I'm drugged up, almost zombie like. Is this to be expected or has 10 mgs become too much for me to tolerate?

My anxietys better though but I'd prefer not to have this heady feeling.

I've tried reducing but had to go back up because of the withdrawal effects causing anxiety.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know what to do for the best.

Best wishes everyone.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I haven't been on here for a couple of weeks mainly because I was sparing everyone of my moans and groans, hope you're all coping ok. I'm no longer getting a headache after taking citalopram, in fact I feel better after taking it at 3pm. I'm not 100%by a long way but I get really good days and some so good. For example, Saturday night I didn't get off to sleep until 5am, the cat kept me awake all night, the vet said it's a type of anxiety, he doesn't want us to go to bed because he'll worry about being left alone. The noises he makes is unbelievable, you'd swear he was being strangled. He has the run of the house, biscuits and water down all day and night and we have another cat from the same litter so he is not alone. Anyhow, that night I had palpitations and I could feel the dreaded anxiety creeping in probably because I was so tired and my sleep was continually being interupted. I dreaded how I was going to feel on the Sunday. It turned out that Sunday was one of my better days, how weird is that. I felt great all day and had a good nights sleep that night, so did my cat, he must have exhausted himself the night before. Today has been a good day too but I'm trying not to get too cocky because I know how quickly things can change. I do think these are positive signs though. Still on 10mgs about 9 weeks now after yoyoing for some time.

Best wishes to everyone๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

yes lina that's how it is .when you least expect it bang you just wake up from that dreadful feeling .thats how it happened to me .at eight months i woke up feeling normal i couldnt believe it.

• Posted

Hi Lois

That sounds so amazing. I'm so looking forward to getting a run of good days, say three or four, once that happens I know my confidence will increase and that will help with my recovery.

Oh dear the cat is starting to play up again, another sleepless night ahead.๐Ÿ™€

• Posted

Hey Lina,

Happy new year. Haven't been on here for a couple of weeks. Hope you're doing okay x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Happy New Year to you too. I haven't been on here much either. Hope you are doing ok too.

I saw my doctor in the week because I am not sleeping. I asked for something to help with my anxiety and he gave me propranolol to take 10mgs once a day along with my 10mg citalopram. I only took 5mg at 8pm and I fidgeted all night and was like a zombie the next day, I felt totally out of it. I haven't taken it since. I cannot cope with not being in control.

I thought I was starting to feel better but my neck has been playing up and that gives me anxiety so I've been feeling a bit fed up lately.

Hope you are continuing to make good progress.๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Forgot to ask, how is your neck now?

• Posted

Hey Lina, personally I found that my sleep was really bad if I took a beta blocker. Then I looked it up and saw a side effect could be insomnia!

I've been having some acupuncture and my neck initially improved. I'm a bit stressed this week about a teaching observation/interview and am noticing the neck pain has come back. Also, headache.

I'm laughing as I type because I sound like such a whingebag at times!

Mostly I've settled on 10mg but am still oversensitive to added stress....I'm finding it doesnt take much to knock me off balance, which is frustrating. I'd like to feel a bit more resilient really.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

It's a no wonder your neck tension and headaches have returned when you have someone hovering over you when you are trying to do your job. I know what those dreaded staff inspections, staff develop days mean causing a lot of added stress for everyone in an already stressful work environment. Hopefully it will pass once the teaching observation is over but for me, it can take a few days to get over a stressful event. I think even if you are not on anxiety meds, we get those days when we are more stressed than usual and have to find ways of coping with it such as what you are going through this week, so I suppose it's natural to feel this way whether you are on or off anxiety meds. For you though, like me, you are probably still affected by your dose adjustment which is not helping your situation.

I'm still on 10mg, took your advice and sticking with it, getting good and not so good days. Neck and shoulder tension too. I've ditched the propranolol though, just caused more anxiety with side effect even after one dose. I was hoping my doctor would give me a benzo but he doesn't prescribe them so easily.

I self massage my neck and I find it does help with the tension and headache, I also use a warmed wheat bag on my neck which gives some relief. I try pressure points which I found online helps particularly at night.

Hope all goes well for you at work, it will be all over by the weekend.๐Ÿ˜Š

Take care x

• Posted

Thank god, yes you're right. Sleep has been crap this week. Also diet has been bad, too sugary, that doesn't help.

But all went well and I am finding out today if I've got the job.... Its looking promising ๐Ÿ˜Š

I do feel the 10 is working now but its taken a good six months of hell, and am not totally side effect free. The headaches come and go and the stiff neck. But it's generally improving.

These medications are serious business. I don't think I realised how powerful they were before. It's not until you have issues with them that you realise what they are capable of, both good and bad.

Anyway, wishing you more consistently better days soon. It does get better, eventually.

Take care Lina, speak soon ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

hi lina

i have been on it for seven days now on 20mg the Anxiety killing me and i cant sleep at night. they said it takes about six weeks to kick in and the Anxiety will calm down. im scared and worried. i have head was killing me the first four days and i was sick couldnt eat anything. i sleep alot in the day the and still do because i wake half in the night and cant get back to sleep

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Are you on Citalopram or propranolol?

Assuming it's citalopram you are very early days yet so what you describe can be expected. It doesn't work its magic overnight unfortunately, look ahead to feeling better in the long term rather than short term

I have been on citalopram for years but came off it and am now back on it, that's why I'm getting start up effects again. I've had awful headaches too and nausea but that has passed now. I'm getting muzzy head feelings and lightheadedness sometimes, sleepless nights, bad dreams - all to be expected but it doesn't effect everyone the same way. I've got neck issues too so that could be contributing.

Read some of the posts here from Katecogs, Lois, Ruth and Paula. They can be very reassuring and have helped me no end. There are many posts here on dose adjustment too which suits some people.

Best wishes๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

hi Lina

I'm taking citalopram thank for getting back to me put my mind at ease.

I will look at the other post as well that will be very helpful.

thank you

• Posted

My husband was on Propranolol for a tremor in his right arm. He took it for several months with no success in stopping the tremor. He collapsed last February in the bathroom, I managed to get him to his feet but he just slipped through my arms and was unconcious on the floor. I dialed 999 and at first I was told there was no ambulance available and I would be called back. My husband suddenly came round was distressed because he needed the toilet. I got him on and afterwards I thought since I'd managed that I would try to get him into bed. We managed that between us but he was as white as a sheet and still not 100% with it. Just then 3 paramedics arrived. One did all the checks while another wrote down the results. The other one spoke to me. My husband's pulse was so low it hardly registered, hence the collapse. I told the paramedic that we'd been told my husband couldn't have Parkinson's disease because we could stop the tremor! All 3 said they thought from his symptoms that it was Parkinson's. When they had finished all the tests they said that going to hospital was a waste of time, he would have to wait in a corridor and would have the same test redone. They phoned our own doctor and explained everything to him and made an appointment for us to see him that afternoon. They also said we could insist on a referral to a neurosurgeon for test.

We did insist and waited for the appointment. I eventually phoned Preston where the consultant would see him. I was told the wait would be 6 months. I mistakenly thought he meant from that dat so we finished up seeing a consultant privately, our daughter paid for it. As soon as he started examining my husband he kept turning to me and nodding. He told us he was 99% sure that Tony had Parkinson's but he needed a Dat scan which he has a couple of weeks later. It confirmed the diagnosis and he was prescribed Sinemet and after a month I think the dosage was upped and he's been on it now since last June. He was also on Citalopram 10mg and had that upped to 20mg about 6 weeks ago. He gets down, as do I but he's had physio and is now on a 12 week exercise class to help with his balance and movement (He can't walk & talk) he's also having speech therapy as his voice has lost strength and he stammers with some words and I'm finding it hard to understand him sometimes. He is a lay preacher so this is a huge thing for him, he has one more engagement next month and it's difficult for him to decide whether to say he's not able to do the preach or is that giving in to this terrible illness? I know how depressed he is about the illness, he's always been a quiet man, but sometimes I don't know what to do. I get frustrated when he doesn't seem to understand what I'm trying to do and I know I've been sharp with him. He has mentioned it so I'm trying to be more patient. It doesn't help that I'm waiting for a Mitral Valve replaceement so I'm short of breath and have little energy. I also need a corneal transplant but it's been put on hold until I get my heart sorted. I'm penciled in for 27th Feb but that's not confirmed as it will be at Blackpool and they do all the emergency treatment for Lancashire! Sorry to go on like this but to be honest getting it all down has helped. I also apologise for any spelling mistakes!

• Posted

Hello Christina

Firstly, there is no need to apologise for anything and if writing this all down has helped you then I am glad that I was hear to help.

So sorry you and your husband are going through all of these medical issues. As you probably know, propranolol is prescribed for a variety of many conditions such as heart problems, anxiety and migraine. I am aware that it slows the heart rate so if someone already has a low heart rate then it needs to be monitored carefully.

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband's condition wasn't picked up sooner. Parkinson's is such a debilitating illness and so mentally challenging particularly for someone like your husband who holds such a high public profile and of course for yourself and your family. You sound like a close family and I am sure you will find strength in one another to cope. My cousin's husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple of years ago after falling off his bicycle and needing medical treatment. He is apparently coping quite well.

It is shocking to hear that you would have had to wait six months for a consultancy appointment to confirm such an illness, well done to your daughter for stepping in. I hope the therapy your husband receives will prove beneficial and I hope all goes well with your heart surgery

expected on 27 February.

My heart goes out to you. Sending my very best wishes to you all and I'm here to talk whenever you want. x

• Posted

Hi Lina

Thank you for your reply I will keep in touch if you don't mind. I do feel that Tony wasn't given enough information about Propranolol but that's behind him now. He seems to go along at a level then drops which he has done since before Christmas. I will let you know how things go with my heart op and Tony's exercises and therapy x

• Posted

Hi Christina

I don't mind at all, I look forward to hearing from you. You can private message me if you want. Hope all goes well for you both x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.