Citalopram side-effects. Do they wear off?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for two weeks now and have two side-effects which I find disturbing.  Firslty I can't stop yawning and secondly I can't achieve an orgasm.  Do the side-effects wear off eventually?  I can't see myself coping with them much longer.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes and yes...for me.

The yawning has stopped for me....about a week ago...or at least dramatically reduced.

The other thing worried me too but has now resolved itself...but i have heard thats not always the case.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  Can I ask how long it took for the yawning to stop?  I'm not tired or listless but something is triggering the yawning mechanism and I'm getting eye-watering wide yawns every few minutes and they're driving me crazy.

• Posted

Hi grunthos firstly I think you could be tired whilst on cit. Your second problem should go away in a few weeks. Min did x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.  The thing is I'm not tired at all, I just get eye-watering yawns every few minutes.  I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.

• Posted

I too had the yawning when I first started Citalopram but within the first month it was gone or at least greatly reduced to where it wasn't a problem anymore.

I lost my sex drive as well at first but that has started to come back to some degree.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.