Citalopram six weeks, still feel awful?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

Am at six weeks 20mg. I'm coping better, but still feel awful every day. Really upset painful stomach, can't sleep (waking after 2-3 hours), agitation, can't eat. I'm worried most about the sleep, it's so crucial for recovery. Does this ever get better? I can't live on 3 hours sleep a night and this 24/7 anxiety. Surely it should be better by now??

Thanks fir your help.

Lucy

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I struggled with it until week 13. Things finally started to level out for me and my blips are less severe now and not long lasting. It's hard to say persevere when you're going through it, but it will fall into place soon. Have you asked your GP about getting a benzo for some relief in the mean time? I used diazepam and it helped a lot. I take Nytol for sleep but I have 2 little ones so sleep is kinda non existent for me anyways 😦

• Posted

Thank you for replying, appreciate it! I have got diazepam, but too afraid to use it every day. I'm probably taking it every other day. Did you have anxiety like all day? My anxiety used to diminish by lunchtime or at least the evening. Now I feel ill and agitated right through to going to bed. Ugh. A good night of sleep would bloody help!!

• Posted

I had anxiety all day yes ,along with low mood and detachment....and the diazepam just took the edge off. I was given 2mg to take up to 3 times a day. I took it as and when I needed to and I was in no way addicted. Like you I was scared of taking them but I soon felt that any kind of relief is better than feeling the way I did all day everyday. You will get there but time is essential for recovery. Acceptance too, which is hard!! 😦

• Posted

Hi Lucy ,6 weeks at 20mgs shows that you are still getting side effects .You need about 10/12 weeks before you will get rid of your side effects.When are you taken the citrolopram,because if you are taking the citrolopram before you go to bed,that will keep you anxious and tense.My suggestion about diazepam is only take when you really need it as the medication is very additive

what dosage do you have with diazepam at home

• Posted

Hi Marsh, I take the citalopram in the morning. I have 5mg diazepam tablets. I've been told to use them as needed until the meds kick in, but as I say I'm at 6 weeks already with no benefit 😦

• Posted

i took diazepam for 5 days and had withdrawals for months so be careful, i know start up effects are brutal but try not to take a benzo, im tapering off citalopram (wish id never taken it) and have been in withdrawal hell for 6 months just trying to get stable on a dose, doc gave me diazepam again but i wont touch it after the last time when getting off another drug, id rather cope with life and exercise meditate and do therapy than touch these pills but thats just my opinion xx

• Posted

everyone reacts different to meds what may have not work for you ,save my life with these meds.i have taken a benzo for one whole year with no problem at all and i went cold turkey.

• Posted

Thanks Lois. I'm already worried I'm addicted 😦 Very pleased to hear you're doing well. Did you take the benzo every day?

• Posted

When my doctor gave me diazapan he advised me to take every day for 6 days, and refused to give me more. Its difficult with these, because although they can help whilst you settle, they can be so addictive. As Lois says they can affect people differently.

• Posted

i took my benzo every day for one whole year.

• Posted

Lucy, I found magnesium helps me with sleep as makes me drowsy. We are all different, but worth trying, although best to check with your doctor first as you are taking benzos too.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,5 mgs diazepam is ok to use maybe once every 3 days,but DON'T take every day as this medication is known too be highly additive so only really use when you want too take the bite off.Now you have only taken citrolopram for 6 weeks which is hardly enough ,you need to take for at least another 8/10 weeks then see your doctor Out of the 6 days your doctor gave Diazepam how many do you have

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.