Citalopram so tired

Posted , 6 users are following.

been on citalopram for 10 days , taking 20mg in the evening at 9pm , although the nausea is a little better I am so tired even after 8hrs sleep , has anybody else had this ? Does it wear off ? After an hour of being awake I can just about function (in a fashion) thankyou

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary

I reckon this is just a side effect, and most of them do wear off after a while.  I've taken these for many years and don't have any tiredness now.  We are all different of course, and we all get affected differently.

I expect the tiredness will wear off in time.  xx

• Posted

Thankyou Kate , just getting me down I guess feeling so fatigued and struggling to get up , don't know whether to take my dose a bit earlier xx
    • Posted

Difficult isn't it.  I always take mine in the mornings and feel fine, but of course I've take them for years so don't get tired anymore, though I've never been a morning person anyway.  I just remember the nauseau was the worst for me when I first started, which has long since stopped.

Side effects lasted quite a few weeks for me, and I started feeling better by 3-4 months.

Hope it starts to settle soon x

• Posted

Maybe I'll make it an hour earlier each day now it's in my system , I take it at night due to the nausea , still have it but not as bad in mornings , maybe then the tiredness might ease by morning , anxiety still there tho , especially when alone or driving xx
    • Posted

Hi Kate,

Can I ask you whether you have gained weight since you have been taking Cit?  I see you have been on it for sometime, and as you will see from my posts below, I really cannot afford to regain any of the weight I have lost.

Im looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks alot

Wendy X

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I don't think I gained weight on Citalopram, but have noticed in the last 20 years I've gained around a stone, but that's probably middle age spread anyway.  I've taken these meds for much of that time, so don't know really if it's due to the meds or ageing :-( ........ probably ageing booooo!

K x

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I too take Cit in the mornings and dont feel any tireder than I did before.  But then Ive only been on them since last Wednesday so maybe the tiredness is yet to come.  Also Im on other medication as well, some of which can make me tired, so I might not notice the affect from Cit as the others take over.

My main concern is the fact it can make you gain weight.  Ive just lost half my body weight (11 stone) and Id be mortified if I started to put weight on as from what Ive read about it, it slows your metabolism down, so there really is nothing else I can do, other than ask gp for an alternative.

I would be interested to hear what you say.

Take care and thanks.  Wendy

• Posted

I haven't noticed any weight gain although I haven't been on it long , noticed I've been getting random severe arousals if you get me and bit of joint pain /weakness as will as stiff neck but that could be my m.s , also got really bad nausea for first week . Hope you are well and well done for the weight loss 😃 xx
    • Posted

Hahaha, your message made me smile, so that is a result in itself as havent done that for a while!!!!

Im not sure how long being on it, that it would take before you notice the weight gain.  I shall have to post to the lady that answered your comment above.

Interesting what you said about the joint pain too.  Ive got arthritis, so I will now keep an eye on that to see whether Cit makes any difference to that.

I suppose as with every drug, you dont get away scott free when you take something thats new to your body, so side effects are inevitable though.  If the nausea bothers you that much, I was prescribed some anti emetics (I was on something else that made me feel sick) that you put UNDER your tongue.  And they were brilliant.  Immediate result.  So might be worth asking your gp if you decide to see him about that.

Thanks for answering though.  I didnt even know there was a specific site for Cit.  Bloody amazing world we live in nowadays lol.

Take care and post on here again, cos Im interested to see how you get on. XX

• Posted

Yes I will keep you updated and if anything new pops up (pardon the pun) I think every twinge is m.s but need to appreciate as you said that we have to accept some negatives to every medication , hope you are well and good luck , keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Felt dreadful today.  Very tearful.  I hate dealing with suchm ixed emotions!!Yes, will keep you posted.

Just out of interest, you on Facebook?  Makes it a bit easier than writing on here. Am I allowed to ask that on here?  

Wendy X

• Posted

I have been on 10mg for about 2 months now, i feel really tired.

I can only fall asleep after 1 or 2 am, then when i´m sleeping i don´t want to wake up. When i get up in the morning i find my self falling asleep without even knowing. i am hoping it gets better, i was taking them at first in the night, then i did not have any problems so started taking them in the morning and that´s when it all started now i take them around 4 am i set up an alarm. and still it´s not making me feel better. 

I hope that for you it will get better i know how it feels. 

• Posted

hiya,

I've been on cit for only 5 days and the tirdness kicked in after the first pill, like you I got put on the 20mg and I feel like a truck ran over me and reversed back over me for good measure,I couldn't funtion at all lastnight I decided to cut the pill in half and today felt okish. After some research I have found cit has some sedative properties and will knock you out as I found, I would go back to the doctors and dicuss your dosage 20mg might be to high

• Posted

How is everyone doing on the tiredness?  I’ve been on it four weeks and now I am getting very sedated on it! At first I was wired and tired now I’m just tired! Does it pass? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.