Citalopram tapering

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been on citalopram 10mg for 6 plus years, I decided to come off went to 5mg for 6 weeks was ok, nothing I couldn't handle so went to 4mg, shortly after all hell broke loose so went back up to 6mg, been here for about 10/11 weeks and have every symptom under the sun, all types of pain, numbness, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, can't be alone, literally feel like I'm losing the plot 😭 Just want to know I will stabilise, just want to add I have my emotions back xx

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toria, you will stabilise, but unfortunately it takes time for your brain and nervous system to adjust. The length of time you have been on them will be a factor too and the lower the dose the more you can be affected. Definitely worth speaking to your doctor who may be able to give you something to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Its not easy all this and am struggling myself, we have to go with it, be patient and remind ourselves it will pass.
  • Posted

What symptoms are you having? Xx
    • Posted

When I was going through my hell,I had similar symptoms to what you described and I couldnt function properly I felt I wasnt fit to be around people and was terrified that I had bi polar. Thankfully it passed and I settled and my moods and emotions have been fine like pre meds, my family said I was almost back to my old self. Now I am tapering again, and struggling to accept that I have to go through possible hell again.
  • Posted

Sounds like you need to go back to 10mg?
    • Posted

If it's not bothering you stay on your dose..it will eventually stabilize again..who knows when?

• Posted

It is bothering me, it's crippling but I have my emotions back after being a zombie for many years! Xx

• Posted

Is strange how ten milligrams made you a zombie ..ten milligrams save my life..
    • Posted

Hi Toria I have seen that you have recently come off mirtazapine, am wondering if thats affecting you too
    • Posted

If that's the case Paula for toria..that's a double whammy of withdrawals..

• Posted

My story is long and confusing but I waited until the mirtazapine withdrawals were over, I'm just in hell right now but holding on as I have my humanity back, citalopram made me a very cold person xx

• Posted

Yes I did and it's a common thing with SSRIs too! They dull down emotions xx

• Posted

Thank God I don't feel like that my emotions are normal..and been on for 2and a half years.. saying a prayer for you.

• Posted

Toria, I understand that Zombie feeling and getting your emotions back, I was on a cocktail of meds and had the same thing. I dropped 10mg off citalopram and took myself off other meds which included, longterm pain killers, anti sickness and muscle relaxants, and my emotions came back, felt like I had cried more in four months than I had in all my life and put it down to shock too. Am on 18mg of citalopram and can feel my emotions. Have you checked out protracted withdrawal known as paws? Definitely worth sticking on your existing dose until you settle.

What other symptoms are you getting?

• Posted

Just re-read your symptoms thats a long time to be suffering with what you describe as hell, definitely worth speaking to your doctor.
    • Posted

Doc just says go back up to 8mg but I haven't settled on 6mg xx

• Posted

That's the reason he wants you to go up to 8.because you haven't settled on 6.

• Posted

No, doctor wont give me anything like that anymore due to how I react.,have had it with meds.
    • Posted

Saying lots of prayers for you..now it's just a matter of the waiting game.. yuck..I feel for you.

• Posted

Thank you, Lois am looking forward to the day I make it to 10mg, thats a massive deal for me. Its nearly a year since I started tapering, a whole year, thats crazy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.