Citalopram third week

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been on citalopram over two weeks now at 20mg , side effect of nausea still there but now my legs feel like jelly , balance still off , neck pain and the anxiety seems heightened , like I read on another post the concentration and memory  is shot , almost like I'm looking at me from the outside if that makes sense , I know what tho do every day but have to think hard to do anything , whether that's writing , reading or watching TV ! As for driving ...... I can but don't like it anymore , feel like I'm a learner again ! Do these things happen to anybody else or am I going bonkers ?!?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on citalopram 20mg for 5 weeks with similar side effects the GP then started me on a beta blocker which helped. She's now stopping my citalopram and starting sertraline.

Speak to your GP they maybe able to help with anxiety and physical symptoms

• Posted

I've been on sertraline , made my depression far far worse , I was crying every day so tapered off , I was on 50mg then upped to 100mg after 4 weeks .
    • Posted

I've also been on trazadone and cymbalta , the cymbalta made me aggressive .
  • Posted

It seems so frustrating , seems like I'll never come out of this black hole , makes me wonder wether citalopram or anxiety/depression can cause all or any of these symptoms ?! Please help ?
    • Posted

Might take awhile to kick in I know when I started them took a while till I began feeling better.maybe go back have word with gp
    • Posted

Yes I did have you tired any counselling too?I find it helped to talk.If it's really getting to you go back to your gp.

I've just come off them after being on them about 4 years never was on anything else I'm getting few withdrawal systems now dizziness, tearful & bit snappy

• Posted

On waiting list for counselling , just the thought of driving to an appointment makes me more anxious at the moment !
    • Posted

Will make you anxious. I was awful it's only now that I'm feeling I can cope & put myself first.good luck to you & hopefully appointment will come though soon
  • Posted

Hi Gary

Yes Xitalopram and other SSRI's are pretty tough to be on initially.  I reckon all doctors should try them so they what we go through.

Heigthened anxiety and nausea was worse for me, but it wore off eventually.  Yes my memory isn't what it used to be, and concentration is pants ... but wether it's because I'm older now I don't know.  I still find it a bit difficult reading and absorbing what's in front of me.  Still, maybe a small price to pay for being well now rolleyes

It should all wear off in time, and I'm sure driving will be regained once all has settled.

• Posted

Oops a few typos!
    • Posted

Typos are good , makes more sense lol , I can remember stuff but it's not "there" instantly like it was and the thinking takes some thinking , I think what you say makes sense about the driving , I'm really hoping x
    • Posted

But would you say you have got better ? I can't imagine going into work at the moment . It's awful x I know it's not been three weeks yet but I'm scared sh*tless
    • Posted

Typos are quite fun sometimes :-) ... though occasionally I do cringe at what's been typed by mistake

Yes I know what you mean, the thinking does take more 'thinking' now, but I also think it's due to my mind being more relaxed with the medication and it's just 'hey man, whatever' now and doesn't rush to go find the data I'm after.

Ive taken these for many years now, and though I'm not as astute as I was before, I'm not as slow as when I first started Citalopram.  So yes, that part has got better.

Regards to depression and anxiety - yes that's better now and doesn't bother me anymore.  Compared to how I used to be, a quivering emotional wreck practically on my knees, it feels a miracle!

It is difficult if you're used to being sharp witted, especially if need to be on the ball at work too, and can feel like you're sleeping when people talk to you.  Maybe at work talk to your superiors and say you've been unwell, are taking medication and it's affecting your concentration etc at the moment, and for people to be aware of this so they can make allowances.

Can you get around ok without a car?  Maybe get a lift, bus etc?  How about going for a drive round the block in the evening when it's quiet to gain your confidence back a little each time?  I'm sure though when these initial side effects wear off you'll feel more in control again.

K x

• Posted

Thankyou for replying Kate , I can drive but it's like I'm in a permanent fog in my head which panics me more hopefully this will ease with time xx
    • Posted

I am a service engineer so driving is essential to the job :-(
    • Posted

I'd think if it affects your ability to drive at the moment, you should be signed off work, especially if driving is part of your work. I know the medication leaflet says to be careful when driving, operating machinery etc.

My son had a depressive episode for the first time last year and started Fluoxetine (another SSRI) which gave him awful side effects. He was off work around 4 months as felt he couldn't work with machinery in the machine shop (he's an engineering apprentice).  He returned to work at Christmas and has slowly recovered. Great to see him back to his old self :-)

I'm sure the fog will ease off as all the side effects do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.