Citalopram to setraline do I need to taper off 10mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been on citalopram for around 7 weeks, had success on it but had a lot of side effects recently it's given me insomnia I find it hard to sleep, my doctor suggested I try setraline to see if that might work without giving me sleep problems she said it was ok to stop taking it for a few days before trying the setraline I was on 10mg is it ok to stop without any tapering?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have u tried to change it to taking it at night? I know a lot of ppl that had trouble sleeping would switch time they take their pill. Or if u are taking it at night try morning. Kind of a shame if u were feeling better to start a new med and start all over. I am at little over 5 weeks now I see some improvement but still seems like I got a lot to go. But I don't have sleeping problems. And I think I pretty much have every single side effect lol. But if you are gonna get off I would still reduce slowly ppl seem to get side effects pretty bad when stoping all of a sudden

• Posted

no i havent, i was taking it at different times i didnt have sleep problems in the beginning..not sure what to do
  • Posted

hi im also taking 10mg of citalopram i stop taking it for 3 days as i wanted to stop taking them but the first day was ok but days 2 and got worse i felt terrible by day 3 so i have started taking them again but if your doc says its fine to just stop be prepared to feel like crap.
  • Posted

I've been on citalopram 20mg for 4 mths and haven't had a decent nights sleep since starting it. I was given the option of switching to sertraline but to be honest I just can't face the hassle with all the side effects, like you say they are awful.

My gp has started me on a very small dose of amitriptyline to take 1-2 hrs before bedtime and this has improved things a bit . I just made the decision to carry on. Let us know what you decide

• Posted

Really, it sucks because it is helping me to feel calmer, i cant either i dont wanna mess myself up i still have appetite problems on this..some people say try it at night have u done that?
    • Posted

Hi Megan,

I have always taken it at night but did have a go at taking it in the morning and it messed me up and gave me increased anxiety so I reverted back to taking at night.

The whole thing is terrible. I'm having a few days of increased anxiety at the moment so trying to ride it out without rushing back to gp . It's really difficult to know what to do for the best. I suppose I just reckoned that there is no guarantee that I would be better on any other AD and wasn't prepared to go through side effects again. It's the anxiety I can't cope with

• Posted

Do you think i should try it at night then before giving it up? ive only tried in morning and for the last while in the afternoon, i know what u mean its very hard to know what to do..yeah before i went on this the anxiety was unbearable, dont want to go back to that
    • Posted

hi megan i used to take mine in the morning and felt total crap all day so i started taking at night and that work for me i still get some anxiety for a few hours in the morning but i prefere taking in morning.
    • Posted

I would try anything before I gave up. For the most part I'm so much better so I know it's helping me plus I don't want any more time off work with side effects - been off since August

• Posted

gerrymoo how long you been on citaolpram and how long before it started workinh.
    • Posted

Hi Marky B !

Started mid August on 10mg citalopram and upped it to 20mg after 3 more weeks so went through awful side effects twice ! To be honest the side effects were so terrible I didn't feel it was helping but after a few weeks I started noticing a gradual improvement. Nausea went away first and anxiety was last thing to go and now it's back a little bit so hopefully just a blip. I feel normal from lunchtime onwards but seem more susceptible to changes in routine etc ...

• Posted

hi gerrymoo i started inseptember on 10mg for 1month then went up to 20mg but felt terrible for 5 weeks so came back down to 10mg dont feel as bad on the 10 but dont feel anywhere near normal forgot what normal felt like dont know if to go back up to the 20mg.
    • Posted

Oh Marky b it's so difficult to say! They say you can get these dreadful side effects on starting up and with each increase or decrease. I just stuck it out again when I went up to 20mg but would be very reluctant to go higher. To be honest once nausea and anxiety had subsided after about 4 weeks , my main issue has been terrible insomnia and restless leg syndrome.

What does your doctor recommend?

• Posted

hi gerrymoo i think i will stay on the 10mg for a couple more weeks and see how i feel dont really knoww if to hit the 20mg again.
    • Posted

If your pills are scored (line down the middle) you can break in half an take half in morn an half in am. Some people do that. Or get a sleep aid or anti anxiety med like Klonapine (now it can ve addicting if taken a ton an hard to come off of). Amitriptyline is also a antidepressant used for sleep or pain an it will also increase Seratonin as does Citolopram so Seratonin Syndrome is a high possiblity an dangerous. I would not take both. I take Klonapine (longer acting anti-anxiety med than xanax) as needed if cant sleep. I just started #7 med Citolopram 10mg this morning an did have increase in anxiety 2 hrs later. I knew it would happen. It does with all of them except (for me) Cymbalta. Everyones diff. But dont expect benefits until at leadt 2-3-4 wks sometimes 6wks.

Goodluck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.