Citalopram upped from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, just new here so no used to the website as yet. My doc has just upped my Citalopram from 20mg to 40mg as I informed her I still had some anxiety, excessive sweating, tiredness, not sleeping well and felt really agitated particularly at night. Feel as if I'm sleeping even worse since the docs was upped, and agitation has got worse too, I can lie awake and be scratching my skin/scalp for hours before finally falling asleep exhausted. Does anyone else get this? Not sure if its worth sticking with, I thought maybe they'd try me on different tablets but I do feel like Citalopram has helped my IBS-D. Also feel like I get so easily irritated at people, not sure if that's an anxiety side effect but mainly people in work and my family, can snap so easily at them but mainly I manage to hold it in- so far. Help or advice welcome please.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dont be so hard that they upped the cit for you, maybe try kalms for the anxiety and they do help you sleep better.

You will get through this, i am on 20mg cit too with some anxiety as well.

• Posted

Hi Alison, few quick questions.

How Long were you on 20mg ?

How long have you been on 40mg ?

Are you taking any other meds ?

• Posted

Hi, I was on 20mg for a few months. Only been on the 40mg for about 5 days, I think the doc said it can take about 4-5 weeks to work correctly. I take Propranolol as and when I need it, that's all. 

• Posted

Your very early on, stick with it, i know it's hard but it will settle down.

Try some meditation and breathing techniques, also walking and fresh air.

• Posted

Are you taking Citalopram too?

Walking definitely does help, I had a sore stomach earlier (more IBS than anxious) and I went a walk on my lunch break and it helped a good bit. I'll try the meditation and breathing techniques too though thanks.

• Posted

Hi yes long time user, down to 10mg now from 40 at my peak.

I know its hard at the moment, but you will get passed it.

• Posted

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has also been on 40, that's also encouraging that you are now down to 10. 

• Posted

I was on 20 for 4 weeks then up to 40 mg. I get some periods of sweating/hot flashes. Definitely have noticed a decrease in panic but general anxiety still high. Tomorrow will mark three weeks on 40
    • Posted

Hoping that what my doc said is true that it takes 4-5 weeks to kick in then will start to feel more normal. I thought upping the dose would make the side effects worse but apparently not. Hope not anyways as by the time I walk 10mins to the train station in the morning my face is covered in sweat, I'm only 32 so feels really embarrassing. Let me know how you get on with it.

• Posted

Yes I didn't see an increase in side effects when I upped just the same ones lingering on. I did however expect the anxiety to diminish more wuickly. Tomorrow is start of week three and I'm hoping for a better week than week 2!

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you that the 3rd week goes better. Hopefully it works for both of us and we can beat this anxiety, or at least get it under control.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, my anxiety has mostly got better still struggling to sleep and sweating loads when its not even warm but wondering if thats a small price to pay and I should just put up with it. Do you take anything else? I have propranolol too which is good but not had to take it in a while even after a really stressful situation recently though I do find I still get annoyed and itritated easily.
    • Posted

How are you doing now ?

I have been on 40 for 2 weeks and had the worst anxiety of my life last week. Not sure how I am today yet.

Has your anxiety improved and how long of being on 40 did it take ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

The first three weeks after going up to 40mg were some of the worst of my life in terms of anxiety and med side effects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weeks 3-6 were better but I was still more anxious than I liked and the side effects were still somewhat bothersome.  

After 6 weeks I am feeling a lot better and hoping with therapy I can feel 100% again soon!

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's SO SO tough but there is light on the other side!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Katelyn.

I am just starting week 3 on 40mg. I was not so bad on starting up or the other 10mg increases....that is why I am so confused. Was the jump to 40mg the worse for you ? Did the lower doses notvwork for you ?

Sorry to ask so many questions am just so scared atm especially as I have an 8 month old son....I have pnd. I am in therapy as well and think it is helping but this increase has really set me back.

Well done for getting through x

• Posted

Sarah im the same got put up to 30 from 20 and i have felt dreadful scared to go out the house and i only have a room i rent which is awful also i dont seem to get any good days at all just want one so i know theres a chance
    • Posted

Darren I know what you mean I seem to have developed agoraphobia since going to 40. Although I have had a few good days since going up and went out.

I think it is only natural to be anxious about going out when we have high anxiety. I am hoping it will pass as the anxiety lessens....with an 8 mth old baby not going out is, hell.

How long have you been at 30 ? How long were you at 20 ? Why did you go up ?

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up