Citalopram.. week 2. I’m scared.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey all.. new here. Just started on 5 mg of citalopram (celexa) 8 days ago and this process has been miserable. I’m mostly on it for anxiety and panic attacks, but I’ve been feeling depressed with this anxiety feeling now.

I’ve been taking 0.5 mg of clonazapam for years (went on it for some sleep issues years ago and my doctor never informed me how hard it is to get off it) it’s never made me tired or anything. Now that I’m on celexa I’m having all kinds of side effects to it.. I’ve been taking 0.25 of my clonazapam in the morning and it’s been knocking me out, but I still get morning anxiety and need something. I’m taking celexa at night.. so far celexa has made me super drowsy during the day, and anxious/kind of light headed at night. Will this and the brain fog ever go away? I really don’t want to raise my dose because I’m so small and sensitive to medication.. how do I tell if this is the right one for me?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your way to early on it usually takes ppl 4 weeks or more to actually feel the positive effects of the pills and the side affects do go away in time
  • Posted

for you to get results with this medication and loose your side effects ,you will need to take the medication for at least 6/8 weeks,this will get your ssri working within your body.
  • Posted

I'm on week six, I had horrendous anxiety in the first week of citalopram and had to take diazepam to get me through the week. I've cut out caffeine too. I'm now on week six of 20mg and I'm having a bit of a set back but this is my second time on this drug. I know the side effects are awful and what your feeling sounds normal so just hang on and it will get easier very gradually but speak to a doctor if you're not sure as they should be checking on how your doing when u first start citalopram.

• Posted

Hi,  Deeeee, like all the advice you have been giving says, you have to be very patient the 1st few weeks, but what about experimenting with the times you take your dose?  Also Is the other medication is maybe clashing a bit with the Cits.  Good luck though, but I’m sure you will start having the odd good day in a week or two.
    • Posted

Yes Mike experimenting with the time to take your cit..is crusual..I was taking my med with ziplocone together at night and that was causing me to jolt awake every night for about two years..after changing times ..that jolting went away..and I sleep so much better...
    • Posted

Like yourself Lois, I now take mine on a morning, so I get the benefit of the ‘livelyness’ when I’m awake!😊 But I’m so pleased I joined the group & can associate with so many like mind people.

• Posted

Hopefully our experiences help others on this forum.. because it certainly did for me..
  • Posted

How did you guys know that it was just side effects and you weren’t reacting badly to it? Today my neck feels weird and kind of number and my top lip tingly 
    • Posted

Do you have any rashes..that's the only reaction where you are able to say your body is having a reaction..every thing else is a side effect...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.