citalopram & weight gain ( how long to lose it after coming off cit)

Posted , 55 users are following.

I have been on cit 50mg & trazodone 200mg for 2 years. I have put on 3 stone in this time.

I have started to reduce the cit & just wondered how long it takes to lose the weight gain once you are off the cit??

8 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

Your weight loss should be gradual, dont try to lose it too quickly.

Follow a healthy diet with plenty of excercise and make sure you expend more calories than you consume per day.

I would say try to lose a couple of pounds per week until you feel happy with your weight again.

Good luck

A

• Posted

Hi, I am a personal trainer, so I do know about weight loss & exercise, & nutrition ( its my job lol)

. What I dont know is if the weight gain due to medication just drops off. I have never eaten any more & have kept on exercising whilst on the cit.

• Posted

My appetite didn't increase either but I have gained about 20 something pounds. If I had an increase in appetite I could control that, but hard when you don't eat anymore but gain all that weight. Today I began an exercise and healthy eating program.
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on Cit for 3yrs for anxiety, my GP assures me that the weight gain is temporary & I will lose it when i come off them.

I'm planning to reduce my dose from 40 to 30mg over the next few weeks. Hoping I might have more energy then!

Gymbunny - just wondering if you know the maximum dose for Citalopram has been reduced to 40mg, it would be worth you discussing this with your GP.

• Posted

Oh Rosie that is so encouraging. I hope he is telling the truth and that I will lose it. I have begun walking and eating more healthily. I am cutting out all eating between meals and lattes etc.
  • Posted

Hi Rosie3, I'm a little surprised to read what you wrote about the maximum dose of Citalopram now being 40mg. I've been on 60mg a day for about a year and was unaware of this. I do get incredibly sleepy during the daytime and have less energy than I used to but I'd put that down to increasing age! Perhaps the tablets cause this?

I've not gained weight though and am as underweight as I was when I started taking them. I guess the metabolic rate varies from person to person.

• Posted

Rosie3, I too am surprised at this info, who told you this??

I have reduced to 40mg now anyway. Dont feel great though, I feel tense all the time.

• Posted

Not sure if I can post a website link on here. If you google 'maximum dose for citalopram' you should find further information
  • Posted

hi rosie3 I googled it yesterday & spoke to my gp & he said no one would now be started on a higher dose, but those already on a higher dose would be maintained on it.

I just want to get off it now as I have gained so much weight.

• Posted

Hi gymbunny I also googled the Citalopram dose after reading the post from Rosie3 and then spoke to my GP because I was worried about being on 60mg a day. He reassured me that it's ok to take such a high dose since I've already been taking it for so long. I'm quite reassured to read that your GP also thinks it's ok for those already on it.

It's strange about the weight gain isn't it, how some people do gain weight and others don't. It must be hard to reduce the dose when you know they help so much. Why do some of us suffer such high levels of anxiety anyway? I have the impression it's something I'll never be free of unless I'm on medication because it's been with me all my life yet I've tried so many alternative ways of freeing myself of it. I know about adopting the right attitude to it in theory but nothing seems to work in practice. I'm so relieved to be on medication.

• Posted

Hi Krispie

I'm pleased you've had reasurrance from your GP, its always good to check.

Anxiety is very hard to cope with isn't it. Have you had any therapy? My diagnosis is PTSD & I've had 2yrs therapy with a psychologist. When i first went to see her I had been off work for nearly a year & was barely functioning, we used a mix of talking therapies & EMDR & I was also on Citalopram to rebalance my brain chemicals. Now my symptoms & quite incredibly my anxiety is manageable, i still have some blips on on the whole life is so much better.

Do hope you find some relief from your anxiety soon.

• Posted

Rosie3, I'm very grateful to you for having mentioned the new guidelines re Citalopram. You've also introduced me to EMDR, something I'd not heard of before! I've not had therapy recently but did have help for agoraphobia many years ago and also saw a psychiatrist for depression for a short time but these were both many, many years ago.

As you'll gather my problem has been with me for a very long time so I adjusted to living with it and almost regarded it as normal. I've done voluntary work but have otherwise been a stay at home wife and mother and have coped that way and managed to hide my problems from other people.

I'm glad you've had a positive diagnosis and are able to have the appropriate treatment.

• Posted

Having read all of the above....I have been on citalopram for over a year and would like to reduce the dose, with a view to coming off it completely. Ran out of tablets last week and nearly had a breakdown Sunday....so gradual reduction recommended! Am desperate to lose excess weight gained too. Can it be self managed? Am on 10mg now. Would appreciate any advice.

• Posted

Hi Noodles.

Do you mean can the weight loss be self managed, or the reduction of cit??

• Posted

Hiya everyone , have been on cit 10 mg for 5 weeks very little time I know ,but I have gained a stone , I haven't eaten any more or exercised less , but I feel a lot better in myself and really wan to try and stop takin this stuff ...... I know there can be side effects but as I've only been on it a short time does anyone think its gonna cause problems ?thanks
    • Posted

Hi Andydoc1 I have also gained a lot of weight and am coming off of it as I find it too depressing to see the weight gain. Like yourself I didn't have any increase in appetite.  I am on 20mg, but am only taking it every second day now with the view of coming off of it in a week or two. I am hoping the gained weight will come off with a bit of exercise and a good diet.
    • Posted

Kim, it takes longer to come off anti-depressants safely than the week or two you stated, unless you switch to a different one you will almost certainly relapse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.